本剧主要讲述住在纽约长岛的西佛一家的日常生活故事,是中国大陆较早引进的国外情景喜剧,在中国从1990年一直播出至1994年。1990年代初期一经播出就引发了收视高潮,片中迈克开朗调皮的形象为广大观众所喜爱。而剧中西佛医生对子女采取启发式教育的方式,也让观众得到启示。
Mike: I can't believe it, how did you get them?
迈克:真不敢相信,怎么弄到的?
Jason: Well, Mike, your Mom and I made a big decision: we could either afford to send you to a college or we could get those tickets. What do you think?
詹森:我今天和你妈妈做了个决定,要么花钱让你进大学,要么用钱去买这些票子,认为怎么样?
Mike: You made the right choice. I can't believe it, two tickets to Springsteen. Wait till I tell Jerry. He's gonna freak.
迈克:我认为你的选择太对了,太好了,是两张斯密斯卡的票子,嘿,杰米要是知道了会发疯的。
Jason: Hey, wait a minute. Show some compassion. When Jerry finds out we are going. It's gonna kill him. We don't wanna rub it in.
詹森:嗨,算了,迈克,可怜可怜他吧,嗨,算了,迈克,可怜可怜他吧,他会气死的,我不想伤害别人。
Mike: Right, right.
迈克:对,对。
Jason: Hey, Mike you don't really mind going to the concert with your old man.
詹森:我说迈克,你不介意和你爸爸一起去听音乐会吧?
Mike: No, no.
迈克:不,不。
Jason: You're sure?
詹森:真的吗?
Mike: Yes, Dad this is going to be great.
迈克:是真的,这样好极了。
Jason: I mean you don't wanna take one of your buddies?
詹森:是否更想和哪位伙伴一起去?
Mike: No.
迈克:不。
Jason: You don't want to take Jerry?
詹森:你想带杰米去吗?
Mike: No.
迈克:不,不。
Jason: Peggy Zelinski?
詹森:佩吉-泽林斯基?
Mike: No, Dad. I wanna go with you, really.
迈克:不,我想和你一起去。
Jason: Well, alright. Then, let's call Jerry and rub it in. Just kidding.
那好吧,咱们就打电话气气杰米,开个玩笑。