Standing up to Mr Beuttell's ideas about his gambling system took some courage, as he was a forceful man, whose heart of gold was buried deep, with strong opinions on many subjects.
赌博系统虽然实际上没有用,但对别特尔先生来说,这赋予他很多勇气。他是一个很强势的人,对金钱的欲望深埋于心,对很多事情都有自己的观点。
An eclectic Christian tending to Theosophy, he was a great believer in the unseen world,
作为一个虔诚的基督徒,他对看不见的世界有着强烈的信仰。
and told Alan that his invention of the Linolite electric lamp had been sent to him from beyond.
他还告诉艾伦,他的电灯设计已经寄给他了,但艾伦觉得这些知识太多太杂,
This Alan found too much to swallow.
无法吸收。
But he also had ideas about the brain, which he had formed since the early 1900s, according to which it worked on electric principles, with differences of potential determining moods.
他还有一些关于大脑的想法,自从1900年代他就开始想,基于电子原理,不同的电压会导致不同的心情。
An electric brain! – there lay a more scientific idea.
一个电子的大脑!这就像一个科学的想法了,
They had long discussions on these lines.
于是他们在这一点上讨论了很久。
Alan and Victor also went down to Sherborne together for the house supper, and after Christmas Alan wrote to Blamey, saying:
圣诞节过后,艾伦写信给布来梅:
I still haven't quite decided what I am going to do when I grow up.
我仍然没有决定长大后要做什么,
My ambition is to become a don at King's.
我的志向是在国王学院做研究。
I am afraid it may be more ambition than profession though.
恐怕这个野心有点过大,
I mean it is not very likely I shall ever become one.
因为我基本上不可能达到。
Glad you had a good beano for your coming of age.
很高兴参加你的成年宴会。
Personally when my time comes I shall retire into a corner of England far from home and sulk.
我想等我成年了,我就跑到英格兰的某个角落,离家里远点。
In other words I don't want to come of age (Happiest days of my life at school etc.)
其实,我也太不想成年。(在学校的日子是最快乐的,等等)。