手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 国外媒体资讯 > 经济学人 > 经济学人商业系列 > 正文

由PPT引发的闹剧

来源:可可英语 编辑:Sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Business

商业版块

Bartleby

巴托比专栏

The PowerPoint slide

PPT闹剧

Loosely based on almost-true events.

大致基于接近真实的事件改编。

Vanessa: Thank you for attending the call today.

凡妮莎:感谢大家参加今天的视频会议。

This is the first meeting of the Project X sub-group, and I’d like to start by reminding everyone of what our brief is.

今天是X项目小分组的第一次会议,我想首先提醒大家我们的任务是什么。

As part of the refresh of our core values, we have been asked to create a one-slide representation of what the company stands for.

作为核心价值观更新工作的一部分,我们被要求用一张幻灯片来展示公司所代表的内涵。

At our last meeting we decided to explore the option of using a temple diagram.

在我们上次的会议上,我们决定探索一下怎样使用寺庙图来做展示。

The idea is that we represent the company’s thinking as the facade of a temple, with our new values as the columns that support our purpose.

我们的想法是,用寺庙的正面代表公司的理念,而新的价值观是寺庙的柱子,来支撑我们的宗旨。

This feels like a super-effective way of demonstrating what we stand for, and I couldn’t be more excited that we’re going to be trying it out.

这感觉是一个超级有效的方式来展示公司的内涵,想到我们要试试这个方案,我就激动得不行。

The list of values is still to be confirmed but the provisional set is Wonder, Originality and Candour.

具体有哪些价值观还没有确定,但临时设定的是惊奇、独创、坦率。

The—yes, Jeff?

以及……什么事,杰夫?

Jeff: Can a temple have only three pillars?

杰夫:寺庙只有三根柱子能行吗?

That seems like quite a low number, just in terms of structural integrity.

感觉三是一个很小的数字,在结构完整性方面来说。

Vanessa: I think so. Though it’s a great question.

凡妮莎:我觉得只有三根是可以的。但这是个很好的问题。

I see lots of hands going up on the screen.

我看到屏幕上有很多人举手。

Angelo, you first.

安吉洛,你先说。

Angelo: The ancients definitely had more than three columns on their temples: six was more normal, I think.

安吉洛:古代人的寺庙里肯定不止三根柱子,我觉得六根柱子比较正常。

I also wanted to ask whether we were planning to use particular column types.

我还想问一下,我们是不是计划用特定类型的柱子。

Vanessa: Great question.

凡妮莎:好问题。

It’s super-exciting to see how super-engaged everyone is.

看到大家都这么投入真是太令人兴奋了。

Rodney?

罗德尼,你想说什么?

Rodney: I was going to ask the same question as Angelo.

罗德尼:我的问题和安吉洛的一样。

I like the Corinthian column aesthetically.

从审美来讲,我喜欢科林斯柱式。

Doric just seems more ho-hum and if “Wonder” is one of our values then I think we should push the envelope on our design choices.

多立克柱式太无聊了一些,如果“惊奇”是我们的价值观之一,那么我认为在设计选择方面应该突破一下。

Vanessa: Which one is Corinthian?

凡妮莎:哪一个是科林斯柱式?

Rodney: It’s the one with the feathers.

罗德尼:有羽毛的那个。

Vanessa: Oh yes!

凡妮莎:哦,好的!

I see lots of thumbs up in the chat, so that feels like a great early win for this group.

我看到很多人在聊天窗口发了大拇指的表情,感觉我们这个小组已经取得了一个初步胜利了。

Leslie?

莱斯利,你的意见?

Leslie: I just wonder if we are being a little Eurocentric in our thinking here.

莱斯利:我只是在想,我们的思维是不是有点以欧洲为中心了。

I mean, these are all types of ancient Greek column and that feels very non-diverse to me.

我的意思是,这些都是古希腊的柱子类型,对我来说,感觉非常缺乏多样性。

Do Hindu temples have pillars?

印度教寺庙有柱子吗?

Vanessa: Super-insightful, Leslie.

瓦内萨:太有洞察力了,莱斯利。

Lots of clapping emojis in the chat.

聊天窗口有很多鼓掌的表情。

Maybe we should combine pillars from different cultures?

也许我们应该把不同文化中的柱子结合起来?

That would be super-original, too, with a capital “O”!

这也是超级有独创性的想法,大写的独创性!

Shilpa, you’re next.

希尔帕,到你了。

Shilpa: Can I be candid?

希尔帕:我能坦率地说吗?

I think I am on this group because none of you can do PowerPoint.

我觉得我待在这个组的原因就是你们都不会做PPT。

I am literally going to draw some rectangle shapes for the pillars.

我真的只会画一些长方形来表示柱子。

We won’t be having feathers or whatever.

不会有羽毛什么东西的。

And there’s a limit to how many pillars will fit on a single slide.

而且一张幻灯片上可以容纳多少根柱子也是有限的。

Vanessa: Thanks, Shilpa.

瓦内萨:谢谢你,希尔帕。

Candour is hard but it’s super-central to who we are as a company.

坦率很难,但它对我们公司的内涵来说是至关重要的。

Lots of thank-you emojis in the chat for that intervention.

对于希尔帕的补充,聊天框里有很多感谢的表情符号。

Or does that symbol mean namaste?

这个符号是不是叫合十礼?

Shilpa: I have no idea why you’re directing that question to me.

希尔帕:我不知道你为什么要问我这个问题。

Vanessa: Er, right. No. Sorry.

瓦内萨:呃,对。不是,很抱歉。

Anyway, let’s just go with three plain columns for now.

总之,我们就用三根普通柱子吧。

Rodney, is that your old hand or have you got a new point to make?

罗德尼,这是你之前的举手示意,还是你有新的观点要说?

Rodney: I get what Shilpa is saying but I worry that we are settling for a really boring temple.

罗德尼:我明白希尔帕的意思,但我担心我们会满足于一座非常枯燥的寺庙。

As I understand it the purpose is on the pediment?

据我所知,公司的宗旨是写在寺庙的门楣上?

Vanessa: The pavement?

瓦内萨:什么人行道?(注:pediment谐音pavement。)

Rodney: The pediment: the triangular bit above the columns.

罗德尼:门楣,就是柱子上面的三角形。

But we could have an architrave, which—I’m getting there, Vanessa—is a horizontal strip on top of the columns and below the pediment.

我们可以画一个额枋——我马上就会解释这个词,凡妮莎——额枋就是柱子顶部和门楣之间的横向区域。

And the reason for doing that is that we could put our corporate mission there, just below our purpose.

这样做的原因是我们可以把公司的使命放在那里,刚好在宗旨下面。

Vanessa: Oh wow! That’s a super-energising idea.

瓦内萨:哇噻!这真是一个超级令人振奋的想法。

Yes, Jeff?

什么事,杰夫?

Jeff: Do we have a mission?

杰夫:我们有使命吗?

And do missions come above or below purposes?

使命是高于宗旨还是低于宗旨?

Vanessa: We don’t have a mission, but we should take that idea back to the main group.

瓦内萨:我们没有使命,但我们应该把这个想法告诉主团队。

And purposes are definitely higher than missions.

宗旨绝对比使命更高。

Purposes are the “why” and missions are the “what”. Values are the “how”.

宗旨是“为什么”,使命是“是什么”。价值观是“怎么样”。

Rick: What’s the “where”?

里克:那“在哪里”是什么?

Vanessa: The temple is the “where”.

瓦内萨:寺庙就是“在哪里”。

Shilpa: You do all know we’re not actually building a temple?

希尔帕:你们应该知道,我们不是真的在建寺庙吧?

Laura: I have a question. What are the columns resting on?

劳拉:我有一个问题。这些柱子是立在什么上的?

Angelo: Yes, I wondered about that.

安吉洛:是的,我也想知道这一点。

Those must be the foundations?

这些肯定是基础了吧?

But what are those in our firm?

那公司里面的是什么呢?

Rodney: Isn’t that capabilities?

罗德尼:难道不是能力吗?

So like our people, our technology, our brand, that kind of thing?

就像我们的人才、技术、品牌,诸如此类的东西?

Angelo: Just putting this out there but maybe our values should be foundations and the pillars should be capabilities?

安吉洛:我想说一句,也许我们的价值观应该是基础,支柱应该是能力?

Vanessa: Lots of thumbs up for that idea.

凡妮莎:很多人对这个想法竖起了大拇指。

Shilpa, what do you—oh, I see Shilpa has just exited the call, so we may need to leave it there for now.

希尔帕,你怎么了--哦,我看到希尔帕刚刚退出了视频会议,所以我们今天的会就开到这里。

Super-inspiring, everyone. Super-inspiring.

今天的会议非常有启发性,各位,非常有启发性。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
horizontal [.hɔri'zɔntl]

想一想再看

adj. 水平的,横的
n. 水平线,水平面

联想记忆
intervention [.intə'venʃən]

想一想再看

n. 插入,介入,调停

 
aesthetically [i:s'θetikəli]

想一想再看

adv. 美学观点上地;审美地

 
core [kɔ:]

想一想再看

n. 果心,核心,要点
vt. 挖去果核

 
slide [slaid]

想一想再看

vi. 滑,滑动,滑入,悄悄地溜走
vt. 使

 
brand [brænd]

想一想再看

n. 商标,牌子,烙印,标记
vt. 打烙印,

联想记忆
symbol ['simbəl]

想一想再看

n. 符号,标志,象征

联想记忆
provisional [prə'viʒənəl]

想一想再看

adj. 暂时的 n. 临时性,临时人员

联想记忆
originality [ə.ridʒi'næliti]

想一想再看

n. 独创性,创造力,新颖

联想记忆
confirmed [kən'fə:md]

想一想再看

adj. 习惯的,积习的,确认过的,证实的 动词conf

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。