第一,情景对话
A: Why did you stand there without a word?
你怎么站那儿一句话也没有?
B: I didn't know what on earth to answer.
我不知到底该说些什么。
A: Then, why did you say sorry to the teacher?
那你怎么不和老师说你抱歉?
B: I don't know, I just felt afraid at that time.
我也不清楚自己是怎么回事,那会儿我就是觉得害怕。
A: You should change it.
你该把这一点改掉。
第二,词海拾贝
on earth:到底,究竟
e.g. “What on earth are you so grave about?” she suddenly demanded.
她突然问道:“你这副愁眉苦脸的样子,是有什么心事吗?”
e.g. How on earth did you manage to get the car started?
你到底是怎么把汽车发动起来的?
e.g. Why on earth did they bother to get married?
他们干么费那么大事去结婚?
e.g. How on earth could I have made so grave a mistake?
我怎么会犯如此大错呢?
第三, 语汇积累
1. without a word:一声不吭地,一言不发地
e.g. He walked straight by without a word or without even raising his hat.
他照直走了过去,一句话也不说,甚至也没有举帽致敬。
e.g. Tom swept up the broken glass without a word of reproof to his son.
汤姆把碎玻璃扫干净,没说一句责备儿子的话。
e.g. He intruded himself into the conversation without a word of apology.
他连招呼都不打就插进来讲话。
e.g. He hurried by without a word.
他匆匆地走过去没有说一句话。
2. say sorry to:向……道歉
e.g. You'll say sorry to me for your impertinence, or you'll quit the office instantly!
你这样放肆,非向我道歉不可!不然,你给我马上滚!
e.g. I really ought to say sorry to you for having stood in your light so long.
我早就该向你道歉,我阻碍了你的前程有这么久。
He had the grace to say sorry to me for the insulting remark.
他通情达理地向我道了歉。