第一, 情景对话
A: I think you're from the same school.
我想你们俩是同校的吧?
B: Yeah. I heard of him years ago.
是的,我几年前就听说过他。
A: He's doing a project with my company now.I need an objective evaluation of him.
他现在正在和我的公司合作开发一个项目,我想听听对他的客观评价。
B: I see. But I don't really know what he's like. We're only on nodding terms.
我明白,可是我真的不知道他的为人如何,我们只是点头之交而已。
第二, 词海拾贝
noddding terms:不太了解某人
e.g. I am on nodding terms with him, so we haven't talked much.
我们谈话不多,我和他只是点头之交。
e.g. We are only on nodding terms with Fred as we've met him twice.
我们与弗雷德只是点头之交,因为我们只见过他两次。
e.g. I don't really know what Tom's mother is like, she is only on nodding terms with me.
我实际上并不知道汤姆的母亲是个怎样的人,我跟她只有点头之交。
第三, 语汇积累
evaluation:评价
e.g. This enables the company to obtain a consensus evaluation of each candidate.
这使公司对每一个候选人均能做出比较公正的评价。
e.g. I attempted an honest evaluation of my own life.
我试图如实地评价我自己的一生。
hear of:听说
e.g. I was shocked to hear of his poor death.
听到他惨遭不幸的噩耗, 我十分震惊。
e.g. I am very much surprised to hear of his failure.
我听到他失败的事感到吃惊。
其它:do a project:开发一个项目
an objective evaluation:客观评价