第一, 情景对话
A: Tom isn't at home. When I called him up, nobody answered the phone.
汤姆没在家,我给他打电话,他家没人接。
B: Nine times out of ten he is in the cinema.
十有八九他去看电影了。
A: I see.
明白了。
第二, 词海拾贝
nine times out of ten:十有八九,几乎总是
e.g. He talks about you nine times out of ten when we have a chitchat.
每次我们闲聊他几乎都谈及你。
e.g. Nine times out of ten he comes home drunk at night.
他几乎每次都是喝得烂醉才回家。
e.g. Even before I open my mouth, my wife seems to know what I'm going to say nine times out of ten.
在我张口说话之前十有八九我的妻子似乎知道我想说什么。
e.g. Yet,the truth is that nine out of ten times opportunity is right in your own backyard.
然而,事实是十之八九机会刚好就在你家的后院。
第三, 语汇积累
1. call up:打电话给某人
e.g. Forgive me so early to call you up please.
请原谅我这么早给你打电话。
e.g. Call up an enemy today and bury the hatchet.
今天就给你的一个对头打电话,与他言归于好。
e.g. Now please have a cup of tea while I call up these people and make a schedule.
请先喝杯茶,我来给他们打个电话,确定时间。
2. answer the phone:接电话
e.g. Fred's mother calls Fred to answer the phone.
佛瑞德的妈妈喊佛瑞德接听电话。
e.g. I'm sorry I couldn't answer the phone when you called.
不好意思,刚才没能接听你的电话。
3. in the cinema:在电影院
e.g. He has been in the cinema for many years.
他从影多年。
e.g. The film has been screened in the cinema and on TV.
这部电影已在电影院及电视上放映.