手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 托福 > 托福听力 > 托福听力真题听写 > 正文

托福TPO-33 Conversation 2(上)

编辑:liekkas   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • Listen to a conversation between a student and his biology professor.
  • 听一段学生和他的生物老师的对话。
  • Professor Landrea. Hi, Dennis. You are right on time. Come on in and have a seat. Great! Thanks.
  • 你好,Landrea教授。你好,Dennis。你很准时。进来坐下吧。太好了!谢谢。
  • So like I told you in class, I just wanted to take a few minutes to meet with everyone
  • 就像我在课上说的,我想花几分钟时间和每个人谈谈,
  • to make sure your class presentations for next week are all in order and coming along well.
  • 确定你们下周的报告进展顺利并有逻辑性。
  • And as you know, you are supposed to report on some area of recent research in genetics, something...you know...original.
  • 你知道,你应该报告一些最近遗传学领域的研究,一些新颖的发现。
  • Well, I think I found just the thing!
  • 我想我已经找到了!
  • It actually occurred to me a couple nights ago while I was eating dinner in the cafeteria.
  • 事实上是在几天之前,当我在咖啡店吃晚餐时突发奇想。
  • Tell me professor, do you like broccoli?
  • 告诉我教授,你喜欢吃西兰花吗?
  • Broccoli? You mean the vegetable broccoli? Yeah. Well, I guess not really.
  • 西兰花?你是说蔬菜西兰花?是的。我想我不爱吃。
  • Me neither. I have never liked it or most other vegetables for that matter... Brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower...you name it.
  • 我也不喜欢。我从来不喜欢它或许多其他蔬菜,抱子甘蓝,芦笋,菜花……凡是你想得到的。
  • They just taste bitter and...well...nasty to me. My mother always called me a picky eater.
  • 它们尝起来很苦而且对我来说很恶心。我母亲总说我挑食。
  • OK...And? And so I got to wondering, I mean, I am obviously not the only person like this.
  • 好的,然后呢?所以我开始好奇,我的意思是我显然不是唯一有这种想法的人。
  • So is this just because of some...like trauma from our childhoods?
  • 所以这只是因为我们童年的精神创伤?
  • Some bad experience we've had with some vegetables?
  • 对于这些蔬菜,我们有过不好的经历?
  • Or could there be some genetic explanation for why some people are picky eaters and others aren't?
  • 或者是不是存在基因上的解释,为什么一些人挑食,一些人不挑食?
  • OK. I see. Well, I suppose it's a possibility.
  • 好的,我明白了。我想有这个可能。
  • Actually, it turns out it's more than a possibility. I started doing some research in the library that night
  • 事实上,它不只是可能。那天晚上我开始在图书馆搞研究,
  • and I found out that a biologist at the National Institutes of Health has been looking at that very question recently.
  • 我发现国家卫生研究院的一名生物学家最近也在研究这个问题。
  • Well, I guess that's not too surprising. And this is great stuff actually. So what's the verdict?
  • 我猜这不足为奇。这其实是很好的研究。那么结论是什么?
  • Well, this guy seems to have discovered a particular gene
  • 这个人似乎发现了一个
  • that actually makes it possible for people to taste the bitterness in certain green vegetables.
  • 在某种绿色蔬菜中使人尝到苦味的特殊基因。
  • But people who have a mutation in that gene cannot taste the bitterness.
  • 但是受到基因突变的人无法尝到这种苦味。


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Listen to a conversation between a student and his biology professor.

听一段学生和他的生物老师的对话。

Student: Professor Landrea.

学生:你好,Landrea教授。

Professor: Hi, Dennis.

教授:你好,Dennis。

You are right on time.

你很准时。

Come on in and have a seat.

进来坐下吧。

Student: Great! Thanks.

学生:太好了!谢谢。

绿色蔬菜.jpg

Professor: So like I told you in class, I just wanted to take a few minutes to meet with everyone to make sure your class presentations for next week are all in order and coming along well.

教授:就像我在课上说的,我想花几分钟时间和每个人谈谈,确定你们下周的报告进展顺利并有逻辑性。

And as you know, you are supposed to report on some area of recent research in genetics, something...you know...original.

你知道,你应该报告一些最近遗传学领域的研究,一些新颖的发现。

Student: Well, I think I found just the thing!

学生:我想我已经找到了!

It actually occurred to me a couple nights ago while I was eating dinner in the cafeteria.

事实上是在几天之前,当我在咖啡店吃晚餐时突发奇想。

Tell me professor, do you like broccoli?

告诉我教授,你喜欢吃西兰花吗?

Professor: Broccoli? You mean the vegetable broccoli?

教授:西兰花?你是说蔬菜西兰花?

Student: Yeah.

学生:是的。

Professor: Well, I guess not really.

教授:我想我不爱吃。

Student: Me neither.

学生:我也不喜欢。

I have never liked it or most other vegetables for that matter... brussels sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower...you name it.

我从来不喜欢它或许多其他蔬菜,抱子甘蓝,芦笋,菜花……凡是你想得到的。

They just taste bitter and...well...nasty to me.

它们尝起来很苦而且对我来说很恶心。

My mother always called me a picky eater.

我母亲总说我挑食。

Professor: OK...And?

教授:好的,然后呢?

Student: And so I got to wondering, I mean, I am obviously not the only person like this.

学生:所以我开始好奇,我的意思是我显然不是唯一有这种想法的人。

So is this just because of some...like trauma from our childhoods?

所以这只是因为我们童年的精神创伤?

Some bad experience we've had with some vegetables?

对于这些蔬菜,我们有过不好的经历?

Or could there be some genetic explanation for why some people are picky eaters and others aren't?

或者是不是存在基因上的解释,为什么一些人挑食,一些人不挑食?

Professor: OK. I see.

教授:好的,我明白了。

Well, I suppose it's a possibility.

我想有这个可能。

Student: Actually, it turns out it's more than a possibility.

学生:事实上,它不只是可能。

I started doing some research in the library that night and I found out that a biologist at the National Institutes of Health has been looking at that very question recently.

那天晚上我开始在图书馆搞研究,我发现国家卫生研究院的一名生物学家最近也在研究这个问题。

Professor: Well, I guess that's not too surprising.

教授:我猜这不足为奇。

And this is great stuff actually.

这其实是很好的研究。

So what's the verdict?

那么结论是什么?

Student: Well, this guy seems to have discovered a particular gene that actually makes it possible for people to taste the bitterness in certain green vegetables.

学生:这个人似乎发现了一个在某种绿色蔬菜中使人尝到苦味的特殊基因。

But people who have a mutation in that gene cannot taste the bitterness.

但是受到基因突变的人无法尝到这种苦味。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
verdict ['və:dikt]

想一想再看

n. 裁定,定论

联想记忆
trauma ['trɔ:mə]

想一想再看

n. 精神创伤,外伤

联想记忆
mutation [mju:'teiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 变化,转变,母音变化

 
genetics [dʒi'netiks]

想一想再看

n. 遗传学

联想记忆
bitterness ['bitənis]

想一想再看

n. 苦味,悲痛,怨恨

 
certain ['sə:tn]

想一想再看

adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
pron.

 
gene [dʒi:n]

想一想再看

n. 基因

联想记忆
particular [pə'tikjulə]

想一想再看

adj. 特殊的,特别的,特定的,挑剔的
n.

联想记忆
original [ə'ridʒənl]

想一想再看

adj. 最初的,原始的,有独创性的,原版的

联想记忆
explanation [.eksplə'neiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 解释,说明

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 托福TPO-32 Lecture 4(下) 2016-05-27
  • 托福TPO-33 Conversation 1 2016-05-31
  • 托福TPO-33 Conversation 2(下) 2016-06-03
  • 托福TPO-33 Lecture 1(上) 2016-06-06
  • 托福TPO-33 Lecture 1(下) 2016-06-08
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。