As you know, I attended the annual marketing conference in Manchester last week.
如你所知,我上周参加了曼彻斯特的年度市场营销会议。
As always, it was very useful.
一如既往,这很有用。
There were some first rate seminars and presentations.
有一些一流的研讨会和演讲。
I was particularly impressed by a talk on internet advertising.
我对网络广告的演讲印象深刻。
In fact, I plan to ask the speaker to come and do a workshop for our staff here.
事实上,我打算邀请演讲者来这里为我们的员工做一个研讨会。
Her name's Susan Hill some of you may have heard of her - she writes regularly for a number of business magazines.
她的名字叫苏珊希尔,一些人可能听说过她,她定期为一些商业杂志供稿。
Conferences are not just about seminars and workshops, though.
但是,会议不仅仅有研讨会和讲习班。
In fact, I'd say that for most people, and I include myself, probably the most important part of any conference are the new contacts you make.
事实上,我想说的是,对大多数人来说,包括我自己在内,所有会议中最重要的部分可能就是你所建立的新关系。
One very useful person I met at the Manchester conference was a man called Harry Baxter, from a company in Glasgow.
我在曼彻斯特会议上遇到一个非常有用的人,他叫哈里·巴克斯特,来自格拉斯哥的一家公司。
He'd already heard of our video cameras and wanted to know more about them.
他已经听过我们的摄像机,想了解更多有关摄像机的信息。
Anyway, he's interested in placing an order for them with us; he'll be confirming that in the next couple of days.
总之,他有意向向我们订购;他会在接下来的几天内确认。
I also met two people from an American firm called Bentley High Tech.
我还遇到了两名来自美国宾利高科技公司的员工。
They're a major supplier to stores all over the USA. Their headquarters are in New York.
他们是美国各地商店的主要供应商,总部设在纽约。
They seem really impressed by what we're doing.
他们似乎对我们的所作所为印象深刻。
In fact, one of them intends to come over to spend a few days with us in October.
事实上,他们其中一个打算在十月的时候过来跟我们待几天。
He might like to see something of our manufacturing process and production capacity, though I think he's mainly interested in discounts.
他可能想了解一下我们的制造工艺和生产能力,不过我想他主要对折扣感兴趣。
If all goes well, this could lead to a really major contract for us.
如果一切顺利,这将为我们带来一份真正重要的合同。
One of the other aspects of the conference that ...
会议的另一个方面……