Quick Thinking
脑筋急转弯
Lydia gazed across the restaurant at the woman dressed in elegant garments.
利迪娅凝视着餐馆那头那个身穿精美服饰的女人。
She was a good example of a genteel woman, Lydia thought.
利迪娅想,她是有教养的女性中的一个范例。
Lydia looked back down at the piece she had been reading in the local gazette.
利迪娅回过来看一直在读的当地政府公报上的那篇文章。
It was an article about the science of genetics.
这是一篇关于遗传学的文章。
It made Lydia wonder whether gentility might be a product of genetic engineering.
它使利迪娅考虑文雅是不是遗传工程的成果。
Could that be the genesis?
那有可能是起源吗?
If so, she was doomed.
如果是这样,她就死定了。
She was meeting her rich boyfriend's family next weekend.
下个周末,她就要见男友的家人了。
She would never be able to fit in with the gentry.
她永远也不可能与贵族相配。
“Sometimes, I feel as plain and insignificant as a gear in a giant machine,” said Lydia.
“有时候,我觉得自己像一台巨型机器上的一个齿轮一样普通而平凡。”利迪娅说。
“I don't think you're a gear” Ruth giggled.
“我不觉得你是齿轮,”露丝咯咯地笑道。
“But even if you were, at least you would be working towards generating useful.
“但即使你是,至少你也会努力造出有用的东西。
Frankly, I think you are more like a precious gem in a jewelry store.
坦率地说,我觉得你更像珠宝店里的一块贵重的宝石。
In fact, you're like a diamond in the rough.”
事实上,你像‘一颗未经加工的宝石。'”
“Please don't gibe me,” Lydia said.
“请不要嘲笑我,”利迪娅说。
“I feel as repulsive and small as one of those deadly germs often portrayed in the horror movie genre.”
“我觉得自己令人讨厌,渺小,像恐怖类电影描述的那些致命的细菌那样。”
“I'm not trying to mock you,” said Ruth.
“我不是要嘲笑你,”露丝说,
“It was a genuine observation.
“这是我观察到的真实情况。
You are the most genial person I know.
你是我认识的最和蔼可亲的人。
People born in the North are known for their manners.”
出生在北方的人以他们的风度著名。”
“Thanks,” replied Lydia. “That was a very kind generalization. However, I was born in the South.
“谢谢,”利迪娅答道。“这是一个很友好的概括。但是,我出生在南方。
Can you generalize about people in the South?”
你能概括一下南方人的特征吗?”
“Well, eh,” Ruth stuttered.
“唔,嗯,”露丝口吃了。
Ruth reached into her pocket and realized that she didn't bring enough money to pay her half of the restaurant bill.
鲁斯把手伸进口袋,发现她带的钱不够支付餐馆账单的一半。
“I know,” said Ruth. “People born in the South are known for being very generous! By the way, can I please borrow five dollars from you?”
“我知道,” 露丝说,“出生在南方的人以其慷慨大方而著称。顺便问一下,我能从你这里借5美元吗?”