A Gallant Girl
勇敢的女孩
“In about twenty years, we might be flying around the galaxy instead of driving on roads,” Alice said.
“大约20年以后,我们肯能围绕着银河飞行,而不是在路上开车,”爱丽丝说。
“I wonder what our garb will look like in the future.”
“我想知道未来我们的服装是怎么样的?”
“You might not need to wait twenty years to fly,” said Bessie.
“你也许不用等到20年就可以飞了,”贝西说。
“If this gale gets any stronger, it's going to lift our small car off the ground.
“如果这阵风再大一点,会把我们的小汽车掀离地面的。
As for the future of garments, I think fashion will become garish.
至于未来的衣服,我认为时尚会变得过分装饰的。
I also think the materials will be made out of recycled garbage.”
我还觉得材料将从可循环的垃圾中获得。”
Alice gasped. “If that's true, I'm going to garner my favorite clothes and save them for the future.
爱丽丝喘了一口气。“如果真的是那样,我要储藏我最喜欢的衣服,留作未来之用。
If I look good, maybe I will meet a gallant space pilot who will take me all the way to Saturn to study gaseous clouds.
如果我长的漂亮,也许会遇到一个勇敢多情的宇航员,他会带我到土星去研究气态云。
I wonder how much gasoline it will take to get there.”
我想知道去那需要多少汽油?”
“Very funny,” Bessie said.
“真可笑,”贝西说。
“Didn't you hear? Gallantry like that no longer exists.
“你难道没听说吗?那样的风流韵事不再存在了。
Anyway, you're looking gaunt.
不管怎样,你看上去很憔悴。
Maybe we should stop at the next town to eat.
也许我们应该在下一个小镇停下来去吃饭。
There's a nice art gallery there.
那有个不错的艺术画廊。
They specialize in galvanized metal sculptures.”
他们专门收藏镀锌的金属雕塑。”
“Okay,” Alice said.
“好的,”爱丽丝说。
“Shall we eat first? I hope they put an edible garnish on my fat juicy hamburger.
“我们先吃饭吗?我希望他们在我的厚实多汁的汉堡包上配一些装饰物。
I'm really hungry.”
我真的饿了。”
“Remember, we're in Europe,” Bessie said.
“别忘了,我们在欧洲,”贝西说。
“We can not afford to be gauche.
“我们不能举止粗鲁。
People are gauging our every move.
人们在估量我们的每一个举动。
By the way, is that a gash on your palm?”
顺便问一下,你手掌上的是一个切口吗?”
“Yes, it is,” Alice replied.
“是的,”爱丽丝回答。
“I injured it when my hand got caught in the gap between the doors.
“我的手夹在门缝中间受了伤。
I am sure it will be okay.
我肯定它会好的。
It's nothing that a gallant girl can't handle.”
没有勇敢的女孩做不了的事情。”