Dialogue
A: You look so pale, Jane. What's the matter?
姐,你脸色看起来很不好,怎么了?
B: I didn't sleep well yesterday night.
我昨晚没睡好。
A: Something wrong? Can you tell me?
出什么事了,可以告诉我吗?
B: Just because the exam results are going to arrive this morning. I was on tenterhooks all the night thinking about them.
没什么,就是考试成绩今早要出来,昨晚一夜我都为此坐立不安。
A: Take it easy, okay? I believe you will have a good result, to be confident.
放轻松好吗?我相信你会有一个好成绩的,对自己充满信心。
B: Thanks a lot.
多谢。
on tenterhooks
令人毛骨悚然
The students were on tenterhooks waiting for their exam results.
学生们紧张地等待着考试结果。
We were on tenterhooks until the doctor finally announced that the surgery was a success.
我们紧张地等到医生最终宣布手术成功。
The employees were on tenterhooks during the company’s annual performance review.
员工在公司年度绩效评估期间紧张不安。
take it easy
放轻松
Take it easy, it takes time to learn something new.
放轻松,学习新的东西需要时间。
He seems nervous and I try to help him take it easy.
他似乎很紧张,我在试着让他放松下来。
When life becomes difficult, take it easy.
当生活变得困难时,放松下来。
on pins and needles
焦虑不安;如坐针毡
He was on pins and needles waiting to hear whether he got the job.
他一直坐立不安地等着听他是否得到那份工作的消息。
I've been on pins and needles all week waiting for my exam results.
我整周都坐立不安,等待着我的考试结果。