A: Finding an excuse is obviously down your alley, and trying to avoid taking care of the children is what you're good at.
你最擅长的就是找借口,不照顾孩子也是你的擅长的。
B: Listen, Nancy, if I do not work hard, I will be laid off.
听着南希,如果我不去工作的话,我就会下岗。
A: You are passing the buck.
你又推卸责任了。
B: Play it cool. I go with you and burn the midnight oil tonight.
冷静点,我和你们一起去,今天晚上我熬夜就行了。
down your alley
正合其所长;正和某人兴趣
SYN
right up one's alley
The reading club is down your alley because you love reading books.
阅读俱乐部很适合你,因为你喜欢读书。
The math problem is right up your alley because you're good at numbers.
这个数学问题很适合你,因为你擅长数字。
sb be laid off
某人被裁掉
He was laid off last week.
他上周被解雇了。
Many workers were laid off.
很多工人被解雇了。
The company has to lay off some workers to reduct cost.
公司不得不裁掉一些员工来减少成本。
pass the buck
推卸责任
He always tries to pass the buck when something goes wrong.
每当出了问题,他总是试图推卸责任。
We can't keep passing the buck. We must find a way to fix this.
我们不能继续推卸责任。我们必须找到解决问题的办法。
burn the midnight oil
开夜车;熬夜
我不得不熬夜以按时完成这个项目。
I have to burn the midnight oil to finish the project on time.
Did you burn the midnight oil last night?
你昨晚开夜车了?