1. Expression:keep up with Joneses
Explanation:与人攀比
Example:Many people were holding down three jobs just to keep up with the Joneses.
许多人同时做3份工作只不过是为了和别人攀比。
It is nowadays a common practice to keep up with the joneses.
如今攀比成风。
情景对话:
A: Mum, I want a new dress.
妈妈,我想要一件新衣服。
B: Why?You’ve already got so many dresses.
为什么?你已经有这么多衣服了。
A:But Nancy has just bought as new dress and it’s wonderful. I want it too.
但是南希刚买了一件新衣服,非常漂亮。我也想要。
B:Then stop keeping up with the Joneses. I won’t buy it for you.
不要和别人攀比,我不会买给你的。
2. Expression:keep one’s shirt on
Explanation:To remain calm and wait for something. (保持冷静,保持镇定)
Example:Keep your shirt on, dude, the pizza will be here soon enough.
冷静点,伙计,披萨很快就到了。
It would have gone smoothly if Larry had been able to keep his shirt on instead of trying to get in early.
如果拉里能保持冷静,而不是试图早早地进去,事情就会顺利进行了。
Honey, keep your shirt on, please! I'm sorry but the boss made me work late at the office.
亲爱的,别发火。我很抱歉,但是老板给了我好多活,我不得不在办公室加班。
情景对话:
A:You got drunk and left home with the door open this morning? You idiot.
你今早喝醉了,离开家房门是开着的,你这个白痴。
B:Honey, keep your shirt on. I am sorry.
亲爱的,请你千万别发火,对不起。
3. Expression:kickback
Explanation:A return of a percentage of a sum of money already received. (回扣)
Example:——The former mayor is charged with taking a million dollars’ kickback from that construction company. ——He deserves it.
——前任市长因接受那所建筑公司的一百万美元的回扣而被起诉。——他罪有应得。