In this lesson, you will learn about the idiom 'dark horse' and how to use it in your conversations.
这节课,你会了解到俗语“黑马”以及在对话中怎样使用它。
Explanation
解释
Jeff: Let's learn about the idiom 'dark horse'. A 'dark horse' is someone who has hidden talents.
Jeff:让我们开始学习俗语“黑马”,一个“黑马”就是别人隐藏的天赋。
Keith: Correct Jeff. A 'dark horse' is a person of little prominence or who has little chance to be successful, but who surprises you at the end by succeeding. For example: in the recent marathon, the runner from Idaho turned out to be the dark horse. It was his first marathon!
Keith:是的,杰夫,“黑马”是一个不太突出或者很难成功,但到最后成功了让人感到很惊讶的人。例如:在马拉松竞赛中,来自爱达荷州的选手成为了一匹黑马,这是他第一次参加马拉松!
Jeff: His abilities and potential were not very well known, but he managed to succeed and beat other competitors who were more popular. Here's another example: nobody thought Edison would become a scientist as he was poor in studies, but he proved to be a dark horse.
Jeff:他的能力和潜能不怎么为人所知,但他成功了并且打败其他更优秀的对手。有另一个例子:因为爱迪生成绩不好,没有人认为他会成为一个科学家,但他证明了自己是一匹黑马。
Keith: In politics, the idiom is used to speak of a candidate who seems less popular or has little chance of winning, but comes out victorious or gains power unexpectedly.
Keith:在政坛中,这句俗语用来讲的是似乎不受欢迎或者没有机会赢的候选人,但后来出乎意料的胜出或者得到了权力。
Jeff: Yes, a 'dark horse' is like a mysterious person whose abilities, plans and thoughts are not known!
Jeff:是的,一匹黑马就像不知道能力,计划还有想法的神秘人!
Keith: Yes, they are often difficult to judge. Let's listen to some conversations with examples of how to use this idiom?
Keith:是的,他们通常很难察觉,让我们听些对话,其中有如何使用这句俗语的例子。
Jeff: Good idea!
Jeff:好主意!
Irene Sings Beautifully
艾琳唱歌很动听
Ben: Wow Irene! I didn't know you could sing so well!
Ben:哇,艾琳,我甚至都不知道你唱歌如此美妙!
Irene: Thank you, Ben!
Irene:谢谢你,本!
Ben: You're actually advancing to the finals in the competition.
Ben:你实际上可以提前进入最后决赛的。
Irene: Yes. In fact, I was in a band.
Irene:是的,其实我进入了乐队
Ben: Aha! So you're the dark horse in this competition! What was the band's name?!
Ben:啊,那么你是这次比赛中的黑马,乐队叫什么名字?
Irene: Ever heard of Blue Velvet?
Irene:有没有听说过蓝丝绒?
Ben: Sure! There was a time when I used to listen to 'Goodnight friend' all day long!
Ben:当然听说过了,有一段时间我一整天都听《朋友,晚安》!
Irene: Really?! Well...that was us!
Irene:真的吗?好吧,那就是我们乐队的专辑。
Irene Is Blue Velvet!
艾琳在蓝丝绒里
Toby: The talk shows are saying that the former High Court judge is the dark horse to be the new governor.
Toby:脱口秀说前任高级法院的法官是成为新州长的黑马。
Ben: Yeah, he came from nowhere and achieved prominence in polls. He's very intelligent and a visionary!
Ben:是啊,他不知道从哪里冒出的,而且在民意调查中获得声望。他非常优秀并且很有远见。
Toby: He may win. Some people have hidden talents.
Toby:他可能会胜出,一些人都有隐藏的天赋。
Ben: We have a dark horse among us, too.
Ben:在我们之中也有一匹黑马。
Toby: Another politician?
Toby:其他政治家?
Ben: No. I was talking to Irene and found out that she was one of the Blue Velvet members!
Ben:不是,我和艾琳交谈过,发现她是蓝丝绒成员之一!
Toby: Really? I love their songs!
Toby:真的吗?我喜欢他们的歌!
Chess Mastermind.
国际象棋大师
Keith: It's surprising that Isaac has won the local chess championship!
Keith:太震惊了,艾萨克赢得了当地国际象棋比赛冠军!
Toby: He's a dark horse. We never knew he was such a good player!
Toby:他是一匹黑马,我们从来不知道他是这么优秀的选手!
Keith: Yeah. He hardly talks to anyone.
Keith:是啊,他没对任何人讲过。
Toby: I think he can even win the state finals.
Toby:我认为他甚至能赢得最后的比赛。