Opening a Current Account
开立往来帐户
John Spence is asking a clerk at the First National Bank about current accounts.
约翰·斯彭斯正在向第一国民银行的一位职员询问有关往来帐户的事宜。
Spence:Would you please tell me something about current accounts?I've heard the term,but I'm not sure I understand what it means.
斯彭斯:您能给我讲讲有关往来帐户的事吗?我听说过这个术语,但是我不完全明白它的含义。
Clerk:The term current account means a demand account .Actually ,a checking account.
职员:往来帐户这个术语就是活期帐户的意思。实际上,就是支票帐户。
Normally ,we use the term current or demand account when we talk about a checking account maintained by a business firm.
通常当我们谈论到由企业持有的支票帐房时,我们就使用往来帐户或者活期帐户这样的术语。
S:Oh ,so you mean that I can't open a current account as an individual?
斯彭斯:哦,您是说,作为个人,我不能开立往来帐户吗?
C:No,I don't mean that.Anybody ,either a firm or an individual ,may open a current account,
职员:不,我不是那个意思。任何人,无论是企业还是个人都可以开立往来帐户。
but we normally call individual accounts personal checking accounts .That's just a different name for them.
但是,我们一般称个人帐户为个人支票帐户,这仅仅是帐户名称不同而已。
S:Why do you call them demand accounts ,then ?
斯彭斯:那么您为什么称他们为活期帐户呢?
C:That means that the balances in the accounts are subject to withdrawal on demand.
职员:这就是说,帐户上的余额便于提取或者便于需要。
In other words,a written demand ,or a check ,is all that's necessary to make a withdrawal from the account .
换句话说,要想从帐户中提取,只需填写一张用款需求单或一张支票就可以了。
S:Aren't all accounts like that ?
斯彭斯:并不是所有的帐户都是这样做的吧?
C:No,sir .Time or savings accounts actually require a notice to the bank ,
职员:是的,先生。定期存款帐户或储蓄帐户实际上都需要给银行一个通知,
usually seven days before the depositor has a right to make a withdrawal .In normal practice ,
通常是七天前通知银行,存款人才有权力提取存款。
of course ,we usually waive notice and allow immediate withdrawals .In demand or current accounts ,
当然,一般情况下,我们通常不必提前通知,并且允许立即提款。
however,we cannot ask for such notice .
然而,对于活期帐户或者往来帐户我们根本无权要求取款提前通知。