Banking and Computers
银行与计算机
Betty Rogers, a teller at the First National Bank,is explaining the bank's computer system to one of her customers .
第一国民银行的出纳员贝蒂·罗杰斯正在向一位顾客解释银行的计算机系统。
Customers:What do you mean by the term on-line system?
顾客:“联机系统”这个词是什么意思?
Rogers:Basically ,it means that all our branches are connected to our central computer system,Sir .
罗杰斯:基本上讲,它的含义是说,我们所有的分机都与我们的中央计算机设备相联系,先生。
This permits us to process transactions right away .
这就使得我们能当即处理各项业务交易。
C:Do you mean that deposits and withdrawals are posted to my account immediately ?
顾客:您是说,存款和取款能够马上过帐到我的帐户上吗?
R:Yes,we process cash transactions as soon as they take place .Check deposits are credited ,subject to collection .
罗杰斯:是的,对于现金交易,我们当时就可以处理,而支票储蓄就要把款项经托收后才可划入货方。
C:You mean that I can't draw against a deposit by check until the proceeds are collected from the bank on which the check is drawn?
顾客:您是说,只有从开票行取回款项之后,我才能用支票兑换现金。
R:Yes,that's right .But it only takes overnight for any bank in the city and just a day or two for banks outside the city .
罗杰斯:是这样的,但是对于市内的任何一个银行来说,这只需要花费隔夜的时间,而对于外地银行,也只需一、两天时间就可取回款项。
C:Do you keep all savings account records on computer?
顾客:你们把所有储蓄帐户记录都保存在计算机中吗?
R:Yes,savings ,checking ,loan and installment credit accounts ,too.
罗杰斯:是的,储蓄、支票、贷款和分期还款帐户也保存在计算机中。
On-line computer systems help us provide speedy and accurate service to our customers .
联机系统帮助我们为顾客提供快速而准确的服务。
C:Oh ,that's why we must use magnetically encoded checks and deposit slips .
顾客:噢,这就是为什么我们必须使用磁性密码支票和存款单的原因。
R:Yes,the computer at our data processing center can read all encoded items automatically .
罗杰斯:是的,我们的数据处理中心的计算机能自动地读出所有的译码条目。
Of course ,you 'll notice that there are computer terminals at most teller windows ,too.
当然,您会注意到大多数出纳员的窗口也都装有计算机终端,
Tellers use them to provide immediate computer access for all transactions.
出纳员使用它们将所进行的所有业务内容立即送入计算机或从计算机中取出。