手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语口语 > 实战口语 > The english we speak > 正文

The english we speak(BBC教学)第89期:It's a joke 荒唐可笑

编辑:Aimee   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • Hello and welcome to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English, I'm Helen.
  • 大家好,欢迎来到BBC英语教学频道的我们说的英语节目,我是海伦。
  • With me today is quite a frustrated-looking Neil. Neil, what are you doing to that mobile phone?
  • 今天我们请到了尼尔,他看上去非常生气。尼尔,你拿着手机做什么呢?
  • Argh, I can't get it to make a phone call.
  • 哎哟,我不能打电话。
  • It does everything else: it takes photos, it connects to the internet, it even irons my shirts but it won't make a call!
  • 这部手机其它的功能都有:可以拍照,可以上网,甚至可以熨衬衫,可它就是不能打电话!
  • Your mobile phone irons your shirts?
  • 你的手机可以烫衬衫?
  • No, not really, but honestly it does everything apart from the one thing I want it to do–make a phone call. It's a joke!
  • 不,实际上不是,说实话,它什么功能都有,除了我希望它有的功能——打电话。真是荒唐!
  • A joke? But you're not laughing. It can't be a very funny joke.
  • 玩笑?可是你并没有笑啊。那并不是个有趣的玩笑。
  • Well if you say something is a joke in English it can also mean that it's not very good or not worthy of respect.
  • 嗯,英语中如果你说某件事很荒唐,可以是指那并不是很好,或者是不值得重视的事情。
  • Yes, 'joke' has a second meaning.
  • 对,joke这个词还有其它意思。
  • Example:
  • 例子:
  • The investigation into police corruption was a complete joke. Everyone knows the officers were taking money but they were let off.
  • 对有关警察腐败问题的调查简直荒唐可笑。所有人都知道警察收受贿赂了,可是他们却被放走了。
  • The weather forecast was a total joke. It said it would be warm and sunny but it's freezing and raining.
  • 天气预报真是可笑。天气预报说今天会是温暖的明天,可是其实却是个寒冷的雨天。
  • As you heard there in the example, the person described an investigation into police corruption as a joke.
  • 就像你在例子中听到的,人们形容对警察腐败问题的调查荒唐可笑。
  • This doesn't mean it was funny. It means it wasn't serious.
  • 这并不是说那很有趣。而是说那并不严谨。
  • Also the weather forecast was so bad it was described as a joke.
  • 同样天气预报也很糟糕,所以也可以形容为可笑。
  • Notice that you can add words before 'joke' to make the meaning even stronger. It's a complete joke.
  • 我们注意到你可以在可笑前加形容词使意思更加强烈。这非常荒唐。
  • A complete joke.
  • 非常荒唐。
  • It's a total joke.
  • 可笑透了。
  • A total joke.
  • 可笑透了。
  • It's an absolute joke.
  • 绝对是荒唐的事情。
  • Anyway Neil, why don't you just read the instructions for your new mobile phone? Then you'll probably be able to work out how to make a call.
  • 不管怎样,尼尔,你为什么不看看新手机的说明书呢?然后你可能就知道怎么打电话了。
  • I looked at the instructions but they're an absolute joke.
  • 我看过说明书了,可是那简直荒唐透顶。
  • Oh really?
  • 哦,真的吗?
  • Well for a start they are in about 17 languages apart from English.
  • 首先,说明书上有17种语言,但就是没有英语。
  • What a joke!
  • 真是可笑!
  • Yeah I know.
  • 对,我知道。
  • Well we've heard lots of jokes in today's programme but there hasn't been much laughing.
  • 今天我们在节目中听了很多可笑的事,不过其实并不是很有趣。
  • Argh, what a useless piece of …
  • 哎哟,真是一个没用的……
  • Let's hope Neil finally works out how to use his phone.
  • 我们希望尼尔最后能弄明白如何使用他的手机。
  • Argh, this is beyond a joke, it really is…
  • 哎哟,这真是让人无法接受,它真的是……
  • Join us again for The English We Speak.
  • 欢迎大家收看下期我们说的英语节目。
  • Argh, mobiles…
  • 哎哟,手机……


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Helen: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English, I'm Helen. With me today is quite a frustrated-looking Neil. Neil, what are you doing to that mobile phone?

海伦:大家好,欢迎来到BBC英语教学频道的我们说的英语节目,我是海伦。今天我们请到了尼尔,他看上去非常生气。尼尔,你拿着手机做什么呢?
Neil: Argh, I can't get it to make a phone call. It does everything else: it takes photos, it connects to the internet, it even irons my shirts but it won't make a call!
尼尔:哎哟,我不能打电话。这部手机其它的功能都有:可以拍照,可以上网,甚至可以熨衬衫,可它就是不能打电话!
Helen: Your mobile phone irons your shirts?
海伦:你的手机可以烫衬衫?
Neil: No, not really, but honestly it does everything apart from the one thing I want it to domake a phone call. It's a joke!
尼尔:不,实际上不是,说实话,它什么功能都有,除了我希望它有的功能——打电话。真是荒唐!
Helen: A joke? But you're not laughing. It can't be a very funny joke.
海伦:玩笑?可是你并没有笑啊。那并不是个有趣的玩笑。
Neil: Well if you say something is a joke in English it can also mean that it's not very good or not worthy of respect.
尼尔:嗯,英语中如果你说某件事很荒唐,可以是指那并不是很好,或者是不值得重视的事情。
Helen: Yes, 'joke' has a second meaning.
海伦:对,joke这个词还有其它意思。
Example:
例子:
The investigation into police corruption was a complete joke. Everyone knows the officers were taking money but they were let off.
对有关警察腐败问题的调查简直荒唐可笑。所有人都知道警察收受贿赂了,可是他们却被放走了。
The weather forecast was a total joke. It said it would be warm and sunny but it's freezing and raining.
天气预报真是可笑。天气预报说今天会是温暖的明天,可是其实却是个寒冷的雨天。
Helen: As you heard there in the example, the person described an investigation into police corruption as a joke. This doesn't mean it was funny. It means it wasn't serious. Also the weather forecast was so bad it was described as a joke.
海伦:就像你在例子中听到的,人们形容对警察腐败问题的调查荒唐可笑。这并不是说那很有趣。而是说那并不严谨。同样天气预报也很糟糕,所以也可以形容为可笑。
Neil: Notice that you can add words before 'joke' to make the meaning even stronger. It's a complete joke.
尼尔:我们注意到你可以在可笑前加形容词使意思更加强烈。这非常荒唐。
Helen: A complete joke.
海伦:非常荒唐。
Neil: It's a total joke.
尼尔:可笑透了。
Helen: A total joke.
海伦:可笑透了。
Neil: It's an absolute joke.
尼尔:绝对是荒唐的事情。
Helen: Anyway Neil, why don't you just read the instructions for your new mobile phone? Then you'll probably be able to work out how to make a call.
海伦:不管怎样,尼尔,你为什么不看看新手机的说明书呢?然后你可能就知道怎么打电话了。
Neil: I looked at the instructions but they're an absolute joke.
尼尔:我看过说明书了,可是那简直荒唐透顶。
Helen: Oh really?
海伦:哦,真的吗?
Neil: Well for a start they are in about 17 languages apart from English.
尼尔:首先,说明书上有17种语言,但就是没有英语。
Helen: What a joke!
海伦:真是可笑!
Neil: Yeah I know.
尼尔:对,我知道。
Helen: Well we've heard lots of jokes in today's programme but there hasn't been much laughing.
海伦:今天我们在节目中听了很多可笑的事,不过其实并不是很有趣。
Neil: Argh, what a useless piece of
尼尔:哎哟,真是一个没用的……
Helen: Let's hope Neil finally works out how to use his phone.
海伦:我们希望尼尔最后能弄明白如何使用他的手机。
Neil: Argh, this is beyond a joke, it really is
尼尔:哎哟,这真是让人无法接受,它真的是……
Helen: Join us again for The English We Speak.
海伦:欢迎大家收看下期我们说的英语节目。
Neil: Argh, mobiles
尼尔:哎哟,手机……

重点单词   查看全部解释    
forecast ['fɔ:kɑ:st]

想一想再看

n. 预测,预报
v. 预测

联想记忆
arsonist ['ɑ:sənist]

想一想再看

n. 纵火犯

联想记忆
esteem [is'ti:m]

想一想再看

n. 尊敬
vt. 认为,尊敬

 
corruption [kə'rʌpʃən]

想一想再看

n. 腐败,堕落,贪污

联想记忆
emulation [.emju'leiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 效法,竞争,模仿

 
assiduous [ə'sidjuəs]

想一想再看

adj. 勤勉的,刻苦的

联想记忆
address [ə'dres]

想一想再看

n. 住址,致词,讲话,谈吐,(处理问题的)技巧

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。