Jean: Hi, you're listening to Jean Dong and this is Authentic Real English. 大家好,您现在正在收听的是董珍为您主持的地道英语节目。
William: Hi, I'm William Kremer. We're going to be talking to you about the word wonky. W.O.N.K.Y. 嗨,大家好,我是威廉·克莱默。我们今天要讨论的词是wonky。
Jean: Yes, just before today's show William was telling me that his chair is wonky. 是的,就在节目开始前,威廉告诉我他的椅子是歪的。
William: Yes, my chair is wonky. 是的,我的椅子是歪的。
Jean: William 坐的椅子整个倒了,现在他已经坐在地上了。
William: That's right Jean; my chair has collapsed because it was wonky. 说的对,珍;我的椅子倾斜了因为它是歪的。
Jean: OK. 看来wonky这个词的意思就是shaky或者是uneven。Shaky 摇摇晃晃的,uneven 歪的。
William: Yeah let's listen to these people using the word wonky. 是的,来听这些人说这个词。
Example:
A: I like your new glasses but they don't look straight. 我喜欢你的新眼镜但是它们看上去是歪着的。
B: Oh, that's because my ears are wonky. 哦,那是因为我的耳朵是歪着的。
A: The wheel on my bike is wonky. 我自行车上的轮子坏了。
B: Oh... that explains why you looked so wobbly when you were cycling. 哦……这就是为什么你骑车的时候看上去那么不稳定的原因。
Jean: Ah so the first person said his ears were wonky. 那他的耳朵不会掉下来吗?
William: No, he used wonky to mean uneven. 不会,他用这个词表示歪的。
Jean: 噢,谢天谢地。
William: And the second person said the wheel on his bike is wonky. 第二个人说他自行车上的轮子是歪的。
Jean: Yes, 他自行车的轮子是 wonky 的,就是说是没有安好,是歪的。
William: And his friend said he looked wobbly. 他的朋友说他看上去摇摇晃晃的。
Jean: 就是说,如果他的自行车轮子是wonky的,那么他看上去也是wobbly也就不奇怪了。Wobbly就是抖动的或者是摇摇摆摆的,平衡掌握得不好的样子。
William: Ok Jean, I think that we're going to have to end the show here. 好的,珍,我想我们不得不结束节目了。
Jean: Yes, and you'd better go and find a new chair. 是的,你最好找一个新的椅子。
William: Yep and I'll be sure to check that my new chair is not wonky. 好的,我会确定一下我的新椅子是好的。
Jean: Ok and I'll remind everyone that they can visit our website www.bbcchina.com.cn for more Authentic Real English programmes. 好的,我想提醒听众朋友们来我们的网站做客,收听更多的地道英语。
William: Thanks for that Jean. Bye. 谢谢啦,珍。下期见。