Diarmuid: No... that's no good. (scribbling noises) Oh no, that's even worse. 不,那样不好。哦不,那样更差劲。
Jean: Hi Diarmuid, what are you up to? 嗨,圣保罗,你要做什么?
Diarmuid: Hello Jean. I'm trying to think of some chat-up lines. 珍,你好。我在想一些搭讪的话。
Jean: Chat-up lines? 听起来穆达想找个女朋友。So how is single life going? 你的单身生活怎么样?
Diarmuid: Terrible. I just can't seem to meet a new woman and I'm fed up of being single. The trouble is I'm no good at chatting up girls. 很糟糕。我已经受够了单身,但是似乎很难接触女人。问题是我不是很擅长和女孩子们聊天。
Jean: Chat up. Is that our Authentic Real English word of the day? 聊天。这个词组是今天我们地道英语里面要学的吗?
Diarmuid:It certainly is. To chat up. C.H.A.T. U.P. 当然是。搭讪。
Jean: Chat up. 和异性搭讪。也就是想说点风趣的话来吸引心中喜欢的异性的注意力。
Diarmuid: Some people use chat-up lines to start a conversation with someone they like. 有些人用搭讪的话与他们同类的人开始对话。
Jean: 那么 chat-up line 调情的话,也就是搭讪的开头语了。And you are working on your chat-up lines? 你致力于这些搭讪的话吗?
Diarmuid: That's right. 是的。
Jean: Well, why don't we go to the imaginary BBC Learning English nightclub to see how well your chat-up lines work? 嗯,为什么我们不去设置的BBC英语学习夜总会情境中体会一下搭讪的话怎么说呢?
Diarmuid: Let's do it! 来吧!
(Sound FX-nightclub music) FX-nightclub音乐声音
Jean: Ok Diarmuid. There's a pretty girl. Go and chat her up. 好的,圣保罗,那儿有一个漂亮女生。去跟她搭讪吧。
Diarmuid: Ok here goes... Hi, I'm Diarmuid and I've got a question for you. 好的,这就去……你好,我是圣保罗,我想问你一些问题。
Girl 1: Oh yeah? 什么问题?
Diarmuid: Was your father a thief? Because someone stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes. 你父亲曾是个小偷吗?因为有人偷了星星放在你的眼睛里,让它那么得美。
Girl 1: Ugh, what a terrible old chat-up line. 额,老掉牙的搭讪语啊。
Jean: Hmm, didn't work, eh? Why don't you try a different girl? She looks nice. 嗯,不起作用吗?为什么不换另一个女生呢?她看上去很美。
Diarmuid: Ok, wait here... Hi, I'm Diarmuid. You know when they invented the alphabet they should have put U and I together. Can I get you a drink? 好的,在这里等下我……你好,我是圣保罗。当字母表被发明出来的时候,你和我应该放在一起。我能请你喝杯咖啡吗?
Girl 2: No thanks. I'll buy my own. 不,谢谢。我买我自己的。
Jean: Still no luck? What about that girl over there? She's alone. 还是不走运吗?那边的女孩呢?她是单独一个人。
Diarmuid: All right. Let's give it a go... Hello, I'm Diarmuid. I seem to have lost my phone number. Can I have yours instead? 好的。这就去试试……你好,我是圣保罗。我好想忘记了我的电话号码。我能用你的代替下吗?
Girl 3: I don't think my boyfriend would like that. He's the big guy at the bar. 我觉得我的男友不是很喜欢那样。你是酒吧里的老大。
Diarmuid: Bye! This isn't working Jean. Can we go back to the studio? 再见! 珍,这些都不起作用。我们能回答工作室吗?
Jean: Ok, come on then. 好的,走吧。