Video Message by António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, on World Environment Day
联合国秘书长安东尼奥·古特雷斯世界环境日视频致辞
5 June 2021
2021年6月5日
We are rapidly reaching the point of no return for the planet.
人类给地球造成的损害正在快速达到不可挽回的地步。
We face a triple environmental emergency – biodiversity loss, climate disruption and escalating pollution.
我们面临着三重环境紧急情况,即:生物多样性丧失、气候遭到破坏、污染不断升级。
For too long, humanity has cut down the Earth’s forests, polluted its rivers and oceans, and ploughed its grasslands into oblivion.
很久以来,人类砍伐了地球的森林,污染了河流、海洋,把草原也开垦得无影无踪。
We are ravaging the very ecosystems that underpin our societies.
我们正在毁坏支撑人类社会的生态系统。
And, in doing so, we risk depriving ourselves of the food, water and resources we need to survive.
而且,这样做可能会剥夺人类生存所需的食物、水源、资源。
The degradation of the natural world is already undermining the well-being of 3.2 billion people – or 40 per cent of humanity.
自然界的退化已在损害32亿人即40%人类的福祉。
Luckily, the Earth is resilient.
幸运的是,地球具有韧性。
But she needs our help.
可地球需要我们的帮助。
We still have time to reverse the damage we have done.
我们还有时间扭转人类造成的损害。
That is why, on this World Environment Day, we are launching the United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.
这就是为什么我们要在这个世界环境日启动联合国生态系统恢复十年。
This global movement will bring together governments, businesses, civil society and private citizens in an unprecedented effort to heal the Earth.
这场全球性运动将召集各级政府、公司企业、民间社会、普通公民,共同为治愈地球做出前所未有的努力。
By restoring ecosystems, we can drive a transformation that will contribute to the achievement of all the Sustainable Development Goals.
通过恢复生态系统,我们将能推动变革,促进各项可持续发展目标的实现。
The task is monumental.
这是一项极其艰巨的任务。
We need to replant and protect our forests.
我们需要重新造林、切实护林。
We need to clean up our rivers and seas.
我们需要清理河流、海洋。
And we need to green our cities.
我们也需要绿化城市。
Accomplishing these things will not only safeguard the planet’s resources.
完成这些工作不仅能保护地球的资源。
It will create millions of new jobs by 2030, generate returns of over $7 trillion dollars every year and help eliminate poverty and hunger.
到2030年,这些工作还将创造数以百万计的新就业机会,每年产生超过7万亿美元的收入,并有助于消除贫困与饥饿。
The United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration is a global call to action.
联合国生态系统恢复十年是一项全球行动倡议。
It will draw together political support, scientific research and financial muscle to massively scale up restoration.
它将调动起政治支持、科学研究、财政力量,极大地扩展地球修复活动的规模。
And everyone can contribute.
每个人都能贡献自己的力量。
Science tells us these next 10 years are our final chance to avert a climate catastrophe, turn back the deadly tide of pollution and end species loss.
科学告诉我们,未来10年是避免气候灾难、扭转致命污染潮、阻止物种灭绝的最后机会。
Today, let’s start a new decade – one in which we finally make peace with nature and secure a better future for all.
因此,让今天成为一个崭新十年的开始。让我们在这十年里终于同自然达成和谐,从而确保人人都拥有更美好的未来。