Hi Chantal. What did you think of the talk, then?
嗨,尚塔尔。你觉得这次讲座怎么样?
Hi Hugo. I thought it was good once I'd moved seats.
嗨,雨果。我移动了座位之后感觉还不错。
Oh-were the people beside you chatting or something?
哦,你旁边的人在聊天还是怎么了吗?
It wasn't that. I went early so that I'd get a seat and not have to stand, but then this guy sat right in front of me and he was so tall!
不是那样的。我很早就去了,这样我就可以有座位不用站着,但是那个家伙就坐在我的前面,他太高了!
It's hard to see through people's heads, isn't it?
头挡住什么也看不见,是吗?
Impossible! Anyway, to answer your question, I thought it was really interesting, especially what the speaker said about the job market.
绝不可能!不管怎样,回答你刚才的问题,我觉得很有趣,特别是演讲者所说的有关就业市场的内容。
Me too. I mean we know we're going into a really competitive field so it's obvious that we may struggle to get work.
我也觉得。我的意思是,我们知道我们将会进入一个竞争非常激烈的领域,所以很明显,我们可能会很难找到工作。
That's right-and we know we can't all have that dream job'.
没错,我们知道我们不可能都拥有那份“梦想中的工作”。
Yeah, but it looks like there's a whole range of …areas of work that we hadn't even thought of-like fashion journalism, for instance.
是的,但看起来有很多工作领域我们甚至没有考虑过,比如时尚新闻。
Yeah-I wasn't expecting so many career options.
是的,我没想到会有这么多职业选择。
Mmm. Overall, she had quite a strong message, didn't she?
嗯。总体而言,她传达了一个相当强烈的信息,不是吗?
She did. She kept saying things like 'I know you all think this, but …' and then she'd tell us how it really is.
的确。她一直在说‘我知道你们都这么想,但是……’。然后她会告诉我们真实的情况是什么。
Perhaps she thinks students are a bit narrow-minded about the industry.
也许她认为学生对这个行业的看法有点狭隘。
It was a bit harsh, though! We know it's a tough industry.
但还是有点残酷!我们知道这是一个要求严格的行业。
Yeah-and we're only first years, after all. We've got a lot to learn.
是的,毕竟我们才刚上一年级。我们还有很多东西要学。
Exactly. Do you think our secondary-school education should have been more career-focused?
一点儿没错。你认为我们的中学教育是否应该更注重职业呢?
Well, we had numerous talks on careers, which was good, but none of them were very inspiring.
我们有很多关于职业的讲座,这很好,但没有一个是很鼓舞人心的。
They could have asked more people like today's speaker to talk to us.
他们本可以邀请更多像今天的演讲者这样的人来给我们做演讲。
I agree. We were told about lots of different careers -just when we needed to be, but not by the experts who really know stuff.
我同意。他们只是在我们需要的时候告诉我们关于许多不同职业的事情,但那些人不是真正了解职场的专家。
So did today's talk influence your thoughts on what career you'd like to take up in the future?
那么,今天的讲座是否影响了你对未来想从事什么职业的想法呢?
Well, I promised myself that I'd go through this course and keep an open mind till the end.
我答应过自己我会完成这门课程,并保持开放的心态直到最后。
But I think it's better to pick an area of the industry now and then aim to get better and better at it.
但我认为,现在最好选择一个行业领域,然后致力于在这个领域做得越来越好。
Well, I think we'll just have to differ on that issue!
我想我们在这个问题上只能持不同意见了!
One thing's for certain, though. From what she said, we'll be unpaid assistants in the industry for quite a long time.
不过,有一件事是肯定的。按照她的说法,我们会作为助手在这个行业工作很长时间,但是没有薪水。
Mmm.
嗯。
I'm prepared for that, aren't you?
我已经准备好了,你呢?
Actually, I'm not going to accept that view.
事实上,我不打算接受这种观点。
Really? But she knows it's the case -and everyone else says the same.
真的吗?但她知道情况确实如此,其他人也这么说。
That doesn't mean it has to be true for me.
这并不意味着对我也一定是这样的。
OK. Well-I hope you're right!
好吧,我希望你是对的!