Hi Thomas, how are you enjoying the course so far?
嗨,托马斯,到目前为止你喜欢这门课吗?
Yeah, I think it's good.
是的,我觉得很不错。
Remind me–why did you decide to study sports science?
说起这个我想起来了,你为什么决定学习体育科学?
Didn't you want to be a professional athlete when you were at school?
你上学的时候不是想成为一名职业运动员吗?
Yeah–that was my goal, and all my classmates assumed I would achieve it; they thought I was brilliant.
是的,那是我的目标,我所有的同学都认为我会实现,他们认为我很优秀。
That must have been a nice feeling.
那感觉一定很好。
Mm, I thought I could win anything. There was no one who could run faster than me.
嗯,我以为我在所有比赛中都能赢。没有人能比我跑得更快。
Exactly–so what happened? Did your mum and dad want you to be more 'academic'?
没错,那么后来发生了什么?你的父母想让你更专注于“学术”吗?
Not at all. Perhaps they should have pushed me harder, though.
不是的。不过,或许他们应该给我更大的压力。
What do you mean?
你是什么意思?
I think I should have practised more.
我想我应该多练习。
What makes you say that?
你为什么这么说呢?
Well, I went out to Kenya for a couple of weeks to train…
我去肯尼亚训练了几个星期……
Really! I didn't know that.
真的吗?我都不知道。
I was chosen to go there out of loads of kids and run with some of the top teenage athletes in the world.
他们在一群孩子中把我选出来,让我去和世界上一些顶尖的青少年运动员一起跑步。
And…I was so calm about it. I just kept thinking how fortunate I was.
对此我的反应非常冷静。我一直在想我是多么幸运。
What a great chance this was! Everyone back home was so proud of me.
这是多么好的机会啊!家里的每个人都为我感到骄傲。
But once we started competing, I very quickly realised I wasn't good enough.
但我们一开始比赛,我很快就意识到我不够优秀。
That must have been a huge shock.
那一定是一个巨大的打击。
I thought 'this can't be happening'! I was used to winning.
我当时想‘这不可能发生’!我已经习惯了赢。
I'm sorry to hear that.
听到这个消息我很难过。
It's OK. I'm over it now and I think it's much better to do a university course and this one has such a variety of sports-related areas. It's going to be good.
没关系。我现在想通了,我认为上大学更好,这门课有很多与体育相关的领域。会很好的。
Oh, I agree–I chose it because of that.
哦,我同意。我就是因为这个选了它。