Jack, I'm thinking of taking the kids to the seaside on a surfing holiday this summer and I wanted to ask your advice–as I know you're such an expert.
杰克,我想今年夏天带孩子们去海边冲浪度假,我想征求你的意见,因为我知道你是这方面的专家。
Well, I don't know about that, but yes, I've done a bit of surfing over the years. I'd thoroughly recommend it.
嗯,我也称不上是专家,但是,这些年来我做了一些冲浪运动。我非常推荐这项运动。
I think it's the kind of holiday all the family can enjoy together.
我认为这是一种全家人都可以一起享受的度假活动。
The thing about surfing is that it's great for all ages and all abilities.
冲浪的好处在于,它适合所有年龄段和所有能力的人。
My youngest started when he was only three!
我最小的儿子在他三岁的时候就开始了!
Wow! But it's quite physically demanding, isn't it? I've heard you need to be pretty fit.
哇!但这对体力要求很高,不是吗?我听说玩冲浪的人需要非常健康。
Yes. You'll certainly learn more quickly and won't tire as easily.
是的。你肯定会学得更快,也不会那么容易疲劳。
Well–that should be OK for us. You've been surfing a few times in Ireland, haven't you?
嗯,那对我们来说应该没问题。你在爱尔兰冲浪过几次,是吗?
Yes. There's some great surfing there, which people don't always realise.
是的。那里有一些很棒的冲浪活动,但人们并不总是能认识到这一点。
And which locations would you recommend? – there seem to be quite a few.
你会推荐哪些地方呢?似乎有不少地方可去。
Yes, there are loads. Last year we went to County Donegal. There are several great places to surf there.
是的,有很多。去年我们去了多尼戈尔县。那里有几个冲浪的好去处。
What about in County Clare? I read that's also really good for surfing.
克莱尔县怎么样?我读到那里也很适合冲浪。
Yes, it is. I've been there a few times. Most people go to Lahinch.
是的。我去过那里几次。大多数人都去拉欣奇。
My kids love it there. The waves aren't too challenging and the town is very lively.
我的孩子们喜欢那里。那里的海浪没有太大的挑战性,镇上非常热闹。
Are there good hotels there?
那里有好酒店吗?
Yes–some very nice ones and there are also a few basic hostels and campsites. It's great if you need lessons as the surf schools are excellent.
是的,有些酒店非常不错,还有一些基本的旅馆和露营地。如果你需要课程就太好了,因为当地的冲浪学校很棒。
Sounds good.
听起来不错。
Yes and there's lots to see in the area–like those well-known cliffs–…I've forgotten the name of them…
是的,这个地区有很多值得看的地方,比如那些著名的悬崖……我忘了它们的名字了……
Oh don't worry–I can look them up.
哦,别担心,我可以查一下。
I've also been surfing in County Mayo, which is less well-known for surfing, but we had a really good time.
我也曾在梅奥县冲浪,那里并不是著名的冲浪地点,但我们玩得很开心。
That was a few years ago when the kids were younger. There's a good surf school at Carrowniskey beach.
那是几年前的事了,当时孩子们还小。在卡洛尼斯基海滩有一所很好的冲浪学校。
How do you spell that?
怎么拼写?
C-A-double R-O-W-N-I-S-K-E-Y.
C-A-2个R-O-W-N-I-S-K-E-Y。
OK.
好的。
I put the kids into the surf camp they run during the summer for 10–16 year olds.
夏季时,我让孩子们参加了他们为10-16岁的孩子们举办的冲浪夏令营。
Oh right. How long was that for?
哦,这样。夏令营持续多长时间?
Three hours every day for a week. It was perfect–they were so tired out after that.
为期一周,每天三个小时。那个夏令营很完美。冲浪之后他们都累坏了。
I can imagine.
我可以想象。
One thing we did while the kids were surfing was to rent some kayaks to have a look around the bay which is nearby. It's really beautiful.
孩子们冲浪的时候,我们做了一件事,就是租了几艘皮划艇,去附近的海湾看看。真的很漂亮。
Oh, I'd love to do that.
哦,我很乐意这么做。