So, Tim, we have to do a short summary of our work experience on a farm.
蒂姆,我们需要就我们之前在农场的工作经历做一个简短总结。
Right. My farm was great, but arranging the work experience was hard.
好的。我工作的农场很棒,但整理工作经历很困难。
One problem was it was miles away and I don't drive.
一个问题是,我离农场有数英里远,但是我不开车。
And also, I'd really wanted a placement for a month, but I could only get one for two weeks.
而且,我特别想实习一个月,但我只能找到一个实习两周的工作。
I was lucky, the farmer let me stay on the farm so I didn't have to travel.
我很幸运,农场主让我住在农场里,所以我就不用来回跑了。
But finding the right sort of farm to apply to wasn't easy.
但要找到能够申请到的合适的农场很难。
No, they don't seem to have websites, do they.
是的,这些农场似乎都没有网站,对吧?
I found mine through a friend of my mother's, but it wasn't easy.
我是通过我母亲的一个朋友找到了我实习的农场,但这并不容易。
No.
是的。
My farm was mostly livestock, especially sheep.
我实习的农场主要是养殖牲畜,羊尤其多。
I really enjoyed helping out with them.
我很喜欢帮助这些动物。
I was up most of one night helping a sheep deliver a lamb …
有一天我几乎熬了一整晚来帮助母羊接生。
On your own?
只有你一个人?
No, the farmer was there, and he told me what to do.
不是,农场主也在那里,他告诉我该怎么做。
It wasn't a straightforward birth, but I managed.
小羊的出生并不顺利,但我设法做到了。
It was a great feeling to see the lamb stagger to its feet and start feeding almost straight away, and to know that it was OK.
看到小羊羔摇摇晃晃地站起来,几乎立刻就开始进食,我知道它没事了,那种感觉真的很棒。
Mm.
嗯。
Then another time a lamb had broken its leg, and they got the vet in to set it, and he talked me through what he was doing. That was really useful.
还有一次,一只小羊摔断了腿,他们请兽医来处理,他边救治小羊边给我讲解步骤。这真的很有用。
Yes, my farm had sheep too.
是的,我的农场也有羊。
The farm was in a valley and they had a lowland breed called Suffolks, although the farmer said they'd had other breeds in the past.
农场在山谷里,养殖的是一种叫萨福克的洼地羊,但是农场主说他们过去也养过其他品种。
So were they bred for their meat?
养这些羊是为了肉吗?
Mostly, yes. They're quite big and solid.
大部分是,是的。它们长得又大又结实。
My farm was up in the hills and they had a different breed of sheep, they were Cheviots.
我实习的农场是在山上,他们养的是不同的品种,叫做舍维绵羊。
Oh, I heard their wool's really sought after.
哦,我听说它们的羊毛很受欢迎。
Yes. It's very hardwearing and they use it for carpets.
是的。这种羊毛非常耐磨,主要用来编织地毯。
Right.
没错。
I was interested in the amount of supplements they add to animals' feed nowadays.
我感兴趣的是他们现在在动物饲料中添加的补充剂的数量。
Like, even the chickens got extra vitamins and electrolytes in their feed.
比如,就连鸡的饲料中也添加了额外的维生素和电解质。
Yes, I found that too. And they're not cheap.
是的,我也发现了。而且还不便宜。
But my farmer said some are overpriced for what they are.
但我实习的农场的主人说,有的补充剂的售价过高。
And he didn't give them as a matter of routine, just at times when the chickens seemed to particularly require them.
而且,他也不是天天都喂,只是在鸡似乎特别需要的时候才喂。
Yes, mine said the same. He said certain breeds of chickens might need more supplements than the others, but the cheap and expensive ones are all basically the same.
是的,我实习的农场的主人也是这样说的。他说,某些品种的鸡可能比其他品种需要更多的补充剂,但便宜的和贵的基本上都是一样的。
Mm.
嗯。
So did your farm have any other livestock, Diana?
戴安娜,你实习的农场还有其他牲畜吗,?
Yes, dairy cows. I made a really embarrassing mistake when I was working in the milk shed.
是的,有奶牛。我在挤奶棚工作的时候犯了一个非常尴尬的错误。
Some cows had been treated with antibiotics, so their milk wasn't suitable for human consumption, it had to be put in a separate container.
一些奶牛接受了抗生素治疗,所以它们的牛奶不适合人类饮用,必须放在单独的容器里。
But I got mixed up, and I poured some milk from the wrong cow in with the milk for humans, so the whole lot had to be thrown away.
但我搞混了,我把一些生病的奶牛产的奶倒进了给人饮用的牛奶里了,所以全部牛奶都被倒掉了。
The farmer wasn't too happy with me.
农场主对我不太满意。
I asked my farmer how much he depended on the vet to deal with health problems.
我问过我实习的农场的主人他有多依赖兽医来解决动物的健康问题。
I'd read reports that the livestock's health is being affected as farmers are under pressure to increase production.
我曾经读过的报道称,由于农民面临增产压力,牲畜的健康受到了影响。
Well, he didn't agree with that, but he said that actually some of the stuff the vets do, like minor operations, he'd be quite capable of doing himself.
他不同意这种说法,但他说,实际上兽医做的一些事情,比如小手术,他自己也能做。
Yeah. My farmer said the same. But he reckons vets' skills are still needed.
是的。我实习的农场的主人也说了同样的话。但他认为,还是需要兽医的技术的。