One part of the project I'm unsure about is where we choose some paintings of birds and say what they mean to us.
这个项目有一部分我不确定,那就是我们要选择一些有关鸟类的画作,并说出它们对我们的意义。
Like, I chose a painting of a falcon by Landseer.
比如,我选了一幅兰西尔画的猎鹰。
I like it because the bird's standing there with his head turned to one side, but he seems to be staring straight at you.
我喜欢这幅画是因为那只鸟站在那里,头转向一边,但它似乎正盯着你。
But I can't just say it's a bit scary, can I?
但我不能说这有点吓人,对吧?
You could talk about the possible danger suggested by the bird's look.
你可以谈谈那只鸟的表情所暗示的可能的危险。
Oh, OK.
哦,好的。
There's a picture of a fish hawk by Audubon I like.
我喜欢奥杜邦的一幅鱼鹰画。
It's swooping over the water with a fish in its talons, and with great black wings which take up most of the picture.
它在水上方俯冲,爪子里抓着一条鱼,黑色的大翅膀占据了那幅画的大部分。
So you could discuss it in relation to predators and food chains?
你要从捕食者和食物链的角度来讨论这幅画?
Well actually I think I'll concentrate on the impression of rapid motion it gives.
事实上,我想我会把重点放在它留给人快速运动的印象上。
Right.
没错。
Do you know that picture of a kingfisher by van Gogh - it's perching on a reed growing near a stream.
你知道梵高的那幅翠鸟画吗?那只翠鸟栖息在小溪边的芦苇上。
Yes it's got these beautiful blue and red and black shades.
是的,它有漂亮的蓝、红、黑三种颜色。
Mm hm. I've actually chosen it because I saw a real kingfisher once when I was little, I was out walking with my grandfather, and I've never forgotten it.
嗯嗯。我之所以选择它,是因为我小时候和祖父一起出去散步的时候见过一只真的翠鸟,我永远不会忘记那只翠鸟。
So we can use a personal link?
我们可以联系个人生活?
Sure.
当然。
OK. There's a portrait called William Wells, I can't remember the artist but it's a middle-aged man who's just shot a bird.
好的。有一幅叫《威廉·威尔斯》的肖像画,我不记得画家是谁,但画上的人是一个中年男子,他刚刚射中了一只鸟。
And his expression, and the way he's holding the bird in his hand suggests he's not sure about what he's done.
他的表情和他手抓鸟的方式表明他不确定自己做了什么。
To me it's about how ambiguous people are in the way they exploit the natural world.
我从这幅画感受到人们开发自然界的方式有多么模棱两可。
Interesting. There's Gauguin's picture Vairumati. He did it in Tahiti.
有意思。这是高更的画《薇玛蒂》。他在塔希提岛画了这幅画。
It's a woman with a white bird behind her that is eating a lizard, and what I'm interested in is what idea this bird refers to.
一个女人身后有一只白色小鸟正在吃一只蜥蜴,我感兴趣的是这只鸟指的是什么。
Apparently, it's a reference to the never-ending cycle of existence.
显然,它指的是永无止境的生命循环。
Wow. I chose a portrait of a little boy, Giovanni de Medici.
哇。我选了一幅小男孩乔瓦尼·德·美第奇的肖像。
He's holding a tiny bird in one fist.
他手握着一只小鸟。
I like the way he's holding it carefully so he doesn't hurt it.
我喜欢他小心翼翼地拿着它以免弄伤它的样子。
Ah right.
好吧。