A woman's place is in the home?
妇女的社会地位在家里?
Read this transcript of a student's speech in a class debate.
阅读这篇学生的班级演讲手稿。
Replying to such a well-argued speech is not easy, but I will try.
要回应论证如此严密的辩辞并不容易,但是我会尽力。
As you know, I'm speaking against this motion. I wish to make three main points.
正如你们所了解的,我要反驳辩题。这个我想提出三个主要论点。
First, we cannot accept this traditional role for women in a modern society.
首先,我们不能接受妇女在现代社会中的这种传统角色。
Second, I wish to refute the argument that women are weaker than men.
第二,我想反驳女人比男人弱的观点。
Third, I shall discuss whether or not women should stay at home to take care of children.
第三,我要讨论妇女是否应该呆在家里照看小孩。
In proposing the motion, Jane suggested that we should be proud of our history and respect the tradition, role of women.
在提出这个辩题时,简提议我们应该为我们的历史感到自豪,并且尊重女性的传统角色。
Well, I want to remind her of some other facts about the past.
嗯,我想提醒她一些有关过去的史实。
Girls born into many poor families were not wanted.
很多出生在贫穷人家的女孩被抛弃。
They were sometimes killed or sold as slaves.
她们有时被杀掉或是当奴隶贩卖。
After they got married, many women were like servants in their husband's family.
她们结婚后,很多妇女在婆家像仆人一样工作。
These wives had such a low status that they were confined to their houses, and had to do as they were told.
这些妇女的地位十分低下,她们被禁闭在家中,惟命是从。
New wives sometimes committed suicide.
新婚妻子有时自杀。
Are these traditions which we should support today? I don't think so.
这些传统我们现在还要拥护吗?我不这样认为。
We can be proud of our history without clinging to these old traditions.
我们可以为我们的历史而自豪,但不要固守这些旧传统。