Does an advertisement tell people the complete truth?
广告告诉人们的全都是事实吗?
There are laws to protect people from advertisements that cheat people.
有严格的法律保护人们不受某些虚假广告的侵害。
However, we still must be aware of the skilful methods used in ads to try and sell us things.
但是,我们还得了解广告中所使用的一些微妙的方法。
Even if an ad does not lie, it does not mean it is altogether innocent.
即使一则广告没有撒谎,也不意味着这则广告就是完全“清白”的。
One toothpaste ad declares, 'Bright-Teeth fights bad breath!'
一个牙膏广告说:“亮白牙齿防口臭!”
This statement tries to fool you into assuming that the toothpaste cures bad breath, yet it does not say that!
这样的陈述试图糊弄你,让你设想以为该牙膏能够消除口臭,但它并没有那样说!
All it says is that it fights it, and that is not the same thing at all.
它只是说该牙膏防口臭,二者一点儿也不一样。
One grocery tells customers, 'You are proud of your cooking, so shouldn't you buy the very freshest food?'
一家商店告诉顾客:“你为自己的厨艺感到骄傲,那么不应该买最最新鲜的食物吗?”
This ad is very clever, because it tells customers that they are good cooks.
这则广告很聪明,因为它告诉顾客说他们是烹饪好手。
However, it never says that this grocery has the freshest food!
但是,它从来没有说该商店提供的食物是最新鲜的!
The grocery just hopes that when you read the ad, you will feel pleased with the nice comment, remember the words 'freshest food', and make a mental connection with the food in the grocery.
该商店只是希望你看到这则广告时,就会因他们的夸赞而感觉良好,然后记住词组“最新鲜的食物”,思维上就将这个词组和这家商店提供的食物联系起来。
We must not fall for this kind of trick!
我们绝对不能相信这种把戏!