Passage 21 I Did a Silly Thing
我做了一件傻事
A few years ago, when my family moved to this city, I became interested in soap-box race.
几年前,我们搬到这座城市时,我对肥皂箱赛车比赛产生了兴趣。
That's when I discovered that "it is far easier to start something than it is to finish it."
就是在那时我发现了“开始做某件事要比完成它容易地多”(即“开始容易结束难”)的道理。
Dad bought a set of tools to make a racing car for me.
爸爸买了一套工具要给我做一辆赛车。
I just couldn't wait, and one day, while Dad was at work, I decided to have my car going.
我是急不可耐,然后有一天,爸爸在上班时,我决定让我的小车转起来。
I looked at the drawings, and I said to myself, "Dude, you can do this."
我看着图纸。对自己说,“都德,你可以做到。”
I got out Dad's toolbox, and I started building. Part A fit into Part B.
我拿出了爸爸的工具箱,接着就开始造车了。零件A适合零件B。
Part C was a little harder to connect to Part D. It was easy to fix Part E.
零件C连接到零件D就有点难度。零件E很容易安装。
By the time I got to Part G. I'd made a real messof things.
到我开始零件G时,我已经把事情弄的一团糟。
I really regret having done such a silly thing. What did I learn from this experience?
我真的后悔做了这么一件傻事。这次经历让我学到了什么呢?
Now I know that before I start something, I should know how to finish it.
现在我知道了在我开始做某事之前,我应该知道该如何完成它。