Conversation Two
对话二
How do you like being self-employed?
你觉得自己当自己的老板怎么样?
There are obvious benefits, though I don't seem to have the freedom I anticipated as I just don't seem able to decline work offers.
好处显而易见,但似乎没我预期的那么自由,因为我似乎就是没法拒绝接受工作邀请。
And working alone, there have been times when I've found that money alone provides insufficient motivation.
而且独自工作,有时候我会发现,单靠金钱不能给我提供足够的动力。
Have you experienced the same since you began working for yourself?
自从你开始为自己工作以来,有没有相同的感受?
Sometimes, yes.
是的,有时候会。
Unlike the rest of the workforce who have managers to prompt motivation whenever they're feeling lazy or bored, we self- employed workers perform our jobs without a manager to lift our spirits.
我们不像其他劳动者;每当他们感到懒散或厌倦时,就会有经理来激发动力,我们这些自雇者是在没有经理来提振士气的情形下完成我们的工作。
There's no one around to offer praise or initiate collaboration, no one to make greater use of our interests and talents.
身边没人给予奖励或发起合作,没人能更好地利用我们的兴趣和天赋。
That's a fact.
确实如此。
Not every manager behaves with such awareness and care, of course.
当然了,也不是每个经理都像这样洞察人心,关心下属;
And certainly not all managers have a clue how to motivate people.
肯定也不是所有的经理都知道如何激励员工。
Still, having a manager nearby at least indicates there s an opportunity they'll be decent enough to look out for you when your energy and focus begin to deplete.
尽管如此,身边有位经理至少还意味着,在你的精力和注意力开始枯竭的时候,他们还可能会足够体面去照顾你。
The motivator I value most is autonomy.
我最看重的激励因素是自主权。
I've learned not to sacrifice my prized autonomy by working all hours of the day and by saying yes to every client request.
我已经学会了不要牺牲我宝贵的自主权去一天到晚地干活儿,顺从客户的每一个要求。
Yes. I need to remind myself that I selected this lifestyle for the independence.
是的。我需要提醒自己,我选择这种生活方式是为了独立自主。
I don't miss aspects of permanent full-time employment I disliked, such as the office politics, job insecurity, inflexible hours and so on.
我不怀念那些自己讨厌的全职工作中存在的方方面面,比如办公室里的勾心斗角、工作的不安全性,不灵活的上下班时间等等。
I wouldn't mind a bit more in the form of praise though, praise which is on the record.
但我不介意多一点点记录在案的那种表扬。
That'll come with time.
那个你早晚会有的。
Relatedness is inevitably cultivated via human interaction.
人际关系不可避免地要通过人际互动才能培养。
Engaging with clients, getting written testimony and recommendations, staying in contact with clients afterwards, these are things you'll find will come in due course and provide you with motivation.
和客户互动,得到书面的证明和推荐,活儿干完了还和客户保持联系,你会发现这些事情在适当的时候会出现并给你提供动力。
You're right.
你说得对。
That's an area I do need to put some more effort into — building closer relationships with those who engage my services and skills.
这方面我确实需要投入更多努力——跟雇用我的服务和技能的人建立起更密切的关系。
Questions 5 to 8 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
请根据你刚听到的对话回答5到8题。
Question 5: What does the man say about his life of being self-employed?
问题5:关于自己创业的生活,男士说了些什么?
Question 6: What does the man say about managers?
问题6:关于经理,男士说了些什么?
Question 7: What do both speakers value most about self-employment?
问题7:关于自主创业,两位说话者最看重的是什么?
Question 8: On what point does the man agree with the woman?
问题8:男士同意女士的什么观点?