Recording Three
录音三
When I started high school, it was a shock.
当我开始上高中的时候,我很震惊。
I had spent eight years fighting my way to be the most popular kid in the Catholic school student body.
为了成为天主教学校里最受欢迎的学生,我已经奋斗了八年。
I had been a big, tough eighth grader, and suddenly I was a lowly ninth grader, bullied by the big, tough 12th grade seniors who ran the high school.
我曾经是一个高大、强硬的八年级学生,突然间我成了一个低微的九年级学生,被管理高中的高大、强硬的12年级高年级学生欺负。
I realized then that it's nice to strive for something.
那时我意识到为某件事而奋斗是很美好的。
But that you also have to enjoy the moment you're in and be happy where you are.
但你也必须享受你所处的时刻,为你所处的位置感到快乐。
Rock and Roll had always been an important part of my life.
摇滚乐一直是我生活中很重要的一部分。
I remember my friends and I used to drive around until the late hours of the nights listening to the Music of Rock and Roll Legends.
我记得我和我的朋友们常常开车听摇滚传奇音乐,直到深夜。
During those teenage years, I built friendships that I thought would last a lifetime.
在青少年时期,我建立了一些我认为会持续一生的友谊。
Most people that age think the same thing, but people drift apart.
大多数同龄的人都有同样的想法,但人们渐渐疏远了。
Jobs, families, and tragedies separate people from those lasting friendships.
工作、家庭和悲剧将人们与持久的友谊分开。
The tragedy that separated me from my friends forever was the Vietnam War.
让我和朋友们永远分离的悲剧是越南战争。
A year after I graduated from high school, I left for Vietnam.
高中毕业一年后,我去了越南。
I came back burned out and tired, as though I had lived 10 lifetimes in the short span of 14 months.
我精疲力尽地回来了,就像在短短的14个月里经历了10次人生。
The 14 months I was in the war.
我在战场上待了14个月。
I couldn't relate to the friends I had had in high school.
我无法与高中时的朋友产生共鸣。
They still seemed childish, concerned with childish things that weren't important to me.
他们看起来仍然很幼稚,关心那些对我来说不重要的幼稚的事情。
I was still trying to cope with the death, destruction, and evil I had seen in Vietnam.
我仍在努力应对我在越南看到的死亡、破坏和邪恶。
I felt like we had done terrible things to innocent people there, and in turn, I had seen terrible things done to my friends.
我觉得我们对那里无辜的人做了可怕的事情,反过来,我也看到我的朋友们被做了可怕的事情。
I withdrew from my friends and started college.
我离开了我的朋友,开始上大学。
Then I quit collage and took many different jobs.
后来我从大学退学,做了很多不同的工作。
I spent a lot of my time and money on alcohol and other drugs.
我花了很多时间和金钱在酒精和其他毒品上。
Finally, in an effort to get my life going in the right direction again, I sold everything and took what little money I had and bought myself an airplane ticket to Israel.
最后,为了让我的生活重新回到正确的方向,我变卖了所有的东西,带着仅有的一点钱给自己买了一张去以色列的机票。
I went there to study history while studying at High Five University, I met my wife, who was also an American student.
我在高五大学读书时去那里学习历史,遇到了我的妻子,她也是一名美国学生。
I now teach in a high school back in America.
我现在在美国的一所高中教书。
I look at my students and see them struggling with many of the very things I struggled with many years ago.
我看着我的学生,看到他们正在为许多我多年前为之奋斗的事情而奋斗。
As a teacher, I try to help them over the rough spots as best I can.
作为一名老师,我尽我所能帮助他们度过难关。
Questions 22 to 25 are based on the recording you have just heard.
请根据你刚听到的录音回答问题22到问题25。
Question 22: How did the speaker feel when he started high school?
问题22:叙述者刚上高中时是什么感觉?
Question 23: What did the speaker once think of teenage friendships?
问题23:叙述者曾经是怎么看待青少年友谊的?
Question 24: What do we learn about the speaker when he returned from the Vietnam War?
问题24:当叙述者从越南战争回来后,我们了解到他的什么情况?
Question 25: What does the speaker try to do as a teacher?
问题25:作为老师,叙述者试图做什么?