手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

"Casting a Wide Net",多敛鱼

来源:可可英语 编辑:Wendy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

您现在收听的是美国之音慢速英语词汇掌故节目。

Sometimes in life, you may want to have as many choices as possible.

有时在生活中,你可能想要有尽可能多的选择。

For example, let's say you need a new job.

例如,假设你需要一份新工作。

You want to look far and wide.

你想要找得更远更广。

You do not want to limit your options.

你不想限制你的选择。

In this situation, you may want to cast a wide net.

在这种情况下,你可能想广撒网。

Casting a wide net means to search a very wide area.

广撒网意味着搜索非常大的区域。

To cast a wide net is an expression that probably comes from fishing.

这个词可能来自钓鱼的一个表达。

For some types of fishing, you attach a hook to a line on a fishing pole.

对于某些类型的钓鱼,你可以将鱼钩挂在鱼竿上的鱼线上。

Then you cast the hook into the water.

然后把鱼钩扔进水里。

This will only catch one fish.

这只能钓到一条鱼。

However, casting a net into the water can catch many fish!

然而,在水中撒网可以钓到很多鱼!

When you cast a wide net, you might search a wider area, or you might aim to catch something bigger.

当你撒下一张大网时,你可能会搜索更大的区域,或者你可能会瞄准更大的东西。

For example, if someone looks for a partner, he might cast a wide net by searching — the world.

例如,如果有人在寻找伴侣,他可能会通过搜索世界范围来撒下一张大网。

He might be willing to move anywhere.

他可能愿意搬到任何地方去。

He would have no limits to where he might go.

他可能去的地方是没有限制的。

People who cast a wide net want to have many choices or options.

撒网的人希望有更多的选择。

They broaden their search or widen the qualities they are willing to accept.

他们扩大了搜索范围或愿意接受的品质范围

There are many related expressions that describe similar ideas.

有许多相关的表达来描述类似的想法。

One is to cast your net wide.

一是广撒网。

Others include considering all options or exploring all opportunities.

其他包括考虑所有选择或探索所有机会。

Casting a wide net also means you leave no stone unturned.

广撒网也意味着不遗余力。

You look thoroughly.

你要找的彻底。

You search high and low for what you want.

你到处寻找你想要的东西。

Now, let's hear this expression used in two discussions.

现在,让我们来听一下在两个讨论中使用的这个短语。

The first is at work: A: So, how's the search going for a web designer?

第一个是在工作中:A:那么,网页设计师找的得怎么样了?

B: Surprisingly, it's going slowly.

令人惊讶的是,进展得很慢。

So far, only five applicants have responded to the job announcement.

到目前为止,只有五名应聘者对招聘通知做出了回应。

A: Five?

A:五个?

In this job market, I thought resumes would have been pouring in.

当前就业市场,我以为简历会源源不断地涌入。

B: Well, I only sent the job advertisement to one employment agency.

嗯,我只把招聘广告寄给了一家职业介绍所。

A: That's not enough!

A:这还不够!

We need to cast a really wide net this time.

这一次我们需要广撒网。

B: Right.

B:好的。

I'm on it.

我这就去办。

I'll be casting a really wide net today!

今天我要撒一张很大的网!

Now, let's hear two friends use the same expression: A: So, how is your online dating search going?

现在,让我们来听两个朋友使用同样的表达:A:那么,你的网上约会搜索进行得怎么样了?

B: Not well.

B:不太好。

It's difficult to find the perfect partner.

很难找到一个完美的伴侣。

A: Well, no one is perfect.

答:嗯,没有人是完美的。

What qualities are you looking for?

你想要找什么样的人?

B: I'm looking for a person who is tall, 1.9 meters or taller, with a good job but not in politics or acting.

我在找一个身高1.9米或更高的人,有一份好工作,但不从事政治或表演。

And they must have a master's degree.

而且他们必须拥有硕士学位。

A: Hmmm...The height and job criteria might be a bit limiting.

A:嗯....身高和工作标准可能会有一些限制。

B: Oh, I'm not done.

B: 哦,我还没说完呢。

They must also live within 10 kilometers of me, love dogs .

他们还必须住在离我10公里以内的地方,喜欢狗。

Big dogs, and they can't be a smoker.

大型犬,不能抽烟。

Oh, they must be active outdoors but especially with water skiing and rock climbing.

哦,他们必须经常参加户外活动,尤其是滑水和攀岩。

Oh, and they must be a vegetarian.

哦,他们必须是素食主义者。

A: I think if you want to meet more people and have more options, you may want to cast a wider net.

A: 我认为,如果你想结识更多的人,有更多的选择,你可能需要广撒网。

B: Maybe you're right.

B:也许你是对的。

I know.

我知道了。

I'll take off the dog criteria.

我会去掉狗的标准。

If they like cats ...I guess that's okay.

如果他们喜欢猫的话...我想也没问题。

Do you have a similar expression in your language?

你的语言中也有类似的表达吗?

Let us know in the comments section.

在评论区让我们知道。

Or send us an email at LearningEnglish@VOANews.

或发送电子邮件至LearningEnglish@VOANews。

Com And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories.

这就是我们今天的词汇掌故节目。

Until next time, I'm Anna Matteo.

下次再见,我是安娜·马特奥。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
designer [di'zainə]

想一想再看

n. 设计者

联想记忆
pole [pəul]

想一想再看

n. 杆,柱,极点
v. (用杆)支撑

 
announcement [ə'naunsmənt]

想一想再看

n. 通知,发表,宣布

联想记忆
describe [dis'kraib]

想一想再看

vt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成

联想记忆
willing ['wiliŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 愿意的,心甘情愿的

 
acting ['æktiŋ]

想一想再看

n. 演戏,行为,假装 adj. 代理的,临时的,供演出

 
cast [kɑ:st]

想一想再看

v. 投,掷,抛,铸造,丢弃,指定演员,加起来,投射(目

 
hook [huk]

想一想再看

n. 钩状物,勾拳,钩
v. 钩住,弯成(钩装

 
partner ['pɑ:tnə]

想一想再看

n. 搭档,伙伴,合伙人
v. 同 ... 合

联想记忆
attach [ə'tætʃ]

想一想再看

v. 附上,系上,贴上,使依恋

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。