Hello!
大家好!
This week on Ask a Teacher, we will answer a question about the difference between the words, “victim” and “casualty.”
本周《名师答疑》,我们回答关于victim和casualty有什么区别的问题。
Dear teacher, I am Mayer from Colombia.
亲爱的老师,我是来自哥伦比亚的梅耶。
I hope you are well.
希望你一切都好。
I would like to ask you about the difference between the words, “casualty” and “victim.”
我想问一下victim和casualty之间有什么区别。
Thanks, Mayer.
谢谢,梅耶。
Thank you, Mayer, for this question.
梅耶,谢谢你提出这个问题。
Both “casualty” and “victim” are nouns.
这两个词都是名词。
They have similar meanings and usually describe people who have suffered in some way.
它们的意思相似,通常用来描述在某些方面遭受痛苦的人。
Let’s look closer at each word.
让我们更仔细地看看每个单词。
A “victim” is someone who has been hurt or even killed because of a crime or natural disaster.
victim指因犯罪或自然灾害而受伤甚至丧命的人。
Rescuers gave shelter to the flood victims.
救援人员为洪灾灾民提供了避难所。
We often use the preposition “of” after the word, followed by what happened.
我们经常在这个词后面加上介词of,后面跟着发生的事件。
She was a victim of a robbery.
她是一起抢劫案的受害者。
“Victim” can also mean someone who has suffered because of someone else’s actions.
victim也可以指因为别人的行为而遭受痛苦的人。
The TV show was an interview with victims of religious abuse.
这个电视节目是对宗教虐待受害者的采访。
Also, a victim does not always have to be a person.
此外,victim并不总是指某个人。
The school’s theater and music programs were the main victims of budget cuts.
学校的戏剧课和音乐课受预算削减影响最大。
Let’s move on to “casualty.”
我们接着讲casualty。
Like “victim,” “casualty” means someone who has been hurt or killed, but the difference is in the cause.
和victim一样,casualty也指受伤或丧命的人,但两个词的不同之处在于受伤或丧命的原因。
If that person has been harmed in a war or accident, then they are a “casualty.”
如果是在战争或事故中受伤,那么就是“伤亡者”。
The implosion of the Titan submarine resulted in five casualties.
泰坦号潜艇爆炸造成五人死亡。
We also use “casualty” with the preposition “of” to say that someone suffered because of a situation or an event.
也可以将casualty与介词of连用,表示某人因某种情况或事件而遭受痛苦。
The four children were the only surviving casualties of the plane crash in the Amazon rainforest.
这四名儿童是亚马逊雨林空难中唯一幸存的遇难者。
And, like the word victim, a casualty can be something other than a person.
而且和victim这个词一样,casualty也可以指除人以外的其他东西。
My succulent plant became a casualty of overwatering.
我的多肉植物因浇水过多而长得不好。
The easiest way to remember which word to use is to understand the situation that harmed the person.
要分清该用哪个词,最好记的方法就是弄清楚伤害了那个人的是什么情况。
If the incident you are talking about was a natural disaster or a crime, the word “victim” is most often used.
如果是自然灾害或犯罪,那么最常用的词是victim。
If you are describing the damage of a war or accident, use “casualty.”
如果你是描述战争或事故造成的损失,那就用casualty。
Please let us know if these explanations and examples have helped you, Mayer.
梅耶,请让我们知道这些解释和例子是否对你有帮助。
And that’s Ask a Teacher.
以上就是《名师答疑》。
I’m Faith Pirlo.
我是费思·皮尔洛。