Hi there!
嗨,大家好啊!
This week on Ask a Teacher, we will answer a question about the difference between “listen” and “hear.”
本周《名师答疑》,我们回答listen和hear有什么区别的问题。
Hello, my name is Waleed.
你好,我叫瓦利德。
And I am from Egypt.
我来自埃及。
I would like to ask about the difference between "hear" and "listen."
我想问一下listen和hear有什么区别。
Thanks in advance, Waleed.
提前谢谢你,瓦利德。
Thanks for writing to us, Waleed.
谢谢你给我们写信,瓦利德。
This is an excellent question.
这是一个很好的问题。
Both words have to do with sounds and our ears, but they do not mean the same thing.
这两个词都与声音以及我们的耳朵有关,但它们的意思并不相同。
Let’s look at each.
让我们分别来看。
“Hear” is a verb that can either take a direct object or not.
hear是一个动词,既可以带直接宾语,也可以不带直接宾语。
It has several meanings.
它有几个意思。
First, in its simplest form, the word means to receive sound through the ear.
首先,最简单的意思是通过耳朵接收声音。
Every few hours I hear the whistle of the train.
每隔几个小时我就听到火车的汽笛声。
“Hear” can mean to get information or knowledge by hearing something.
它也可以指通过听到某事来获取信息或知识。
I hear that we need to clean out our offices soon!
我听说我们需要尽快打扫办公室!
“Hear” also means to receive communication from someone.
hear也指与某人进行交流。
Nathan has not heard from his mother in a while. He needs to call her.
内森已经有一段时间没有收到他母亲的消息了。他要给她打个电话。
“Hear” can share a meaning with the word “listen.”
hear和listen有个意思是相同的。
To say you “hear” someone means that you listened to them with attention.
说“你听了某人的话”,意思就是你专心地听他们说话。
I hear your side of the story, but I do not agree.
我听了你的说法,但我不同意。
Let’s move on to “listen.”
接着看listen。
Just like the last meaning we gave for “hear,” “listen” means to hear with attention and understanding.
和hear的最后一个意思一样,listen的意思是专心去听并理解。
We often use the preposition “to” with it.
经常要与介词to连用。
It is difficult to listen to my teacher for a long time.
长时间听老师讲课很难。
“Listen” can mean paying attention to sounds or being alert enough to catch and understand sounds.
listen可以指注意听声音,或者足够警觉地捕捉和理解声音。
Maria listens to a lot of different kinds of music.
玛丽亚听各种不同类型的音乐。
My cat listens for the sound of the can-opener to know when it is dinner time.
我的猫会注意听开罐头的声音,就知道什么时候该吃饭了。
And when speaking informally, “listen” can be a noun meaning the act of listening itself.
在非正式的口语中,listen可以是一个名词,意思就是倾听行为。
Give this a listen! It’s Carly Rae Jepsen’s new song.
听听这个!这是卡莉·雷·杰普森的新歌。
The biggest difference between “hearing” something and “listening” to something is the amount of attention given to the process.
hearing和listening to之间最大的区别就是在听的过程中的专注程度。
“Hearing” is what we usually call a passive activity, sounds are coming into your ear, you receive them, but you are not necessarily paying attention to them.
hearing是我们通常所说的一种被动活动,声音进入你的耳朵,你接收到声音,但你不一定注意到这些声音。
“Listening” suggests an active effort that requires attention.
listening表示注意地听,是一种主动的努力。
Please let us know if these explanations and examples have helped you, Waleed.
瓦利德,请让我们知道这些解释和例子是否对你有帮助。
And that’s Ask a Teacher.
以上就是《名师答疑》。
I’m Faith Pirlo.
我是费思·皮尔洛。