Hello!
大家好!
This week on Ask a Teacher, we will answer a question about “gauge” and “yardstick.”
本周《名师答疑》,我们将回答关于“测量”和“码尺”的问题。
Dear teacher, I am Anora, your loyal reader from China.
亲爱的老师,我是阿诺拉,是来自中国的忠实读者。
I am glad to write an email to you again.
很高兴又给您写了一封电子邮件。
I am confused by the words, "gauge" and "yardstick".
我被gauge和yardstick这两个词搞糊涂了。
I sincerely hope to know their differences.
我真诚地希望了解这两个词的区别。
Looking forward to your marvelous answers.
期待您精彩的回答。
Yours, Anora.
你的,阿诺拉。
Thanks for writing to us, Anora.
谢谢你的来信,阿诺拉。
A “yardstick” is a measuring device.
“码尺”是一种测量工具。
The length of a “yardstick” is three feet or .9144 meters long.
“码尺”的长度是三英尺,即0.9144米。
We measure large things using yardsticks, like fabric or furniture.
我们用码尺测量比较大的东西,比如布料或家具。
I used a yardstick to measure fabric for a dress that I will make.
我要做一条连衣裙,我用码尺来测量面料。
Calling something a “yardstick” is to say it is a standard by which to judge something:
把某事物称为“码尺”,意思是说,它是评判事情的标准:
The teachers used the test results as a yardstick for how much their students learned this year.
老师用考试成绩来衡量学生今年学到了多少东西。
Dancers use their technique as a yardstick for improvement.
舞者用他们的技术来衡量取得的进步。
Now let’s move onto “gauge.”
现在让我们看看gauge。
Like “yardstick,” a “gauge” involves measurement.
像“码尺”一样,gauge也涉及测量。
Instead of measuring length, a “gauge” can measure distance, size, width, or the thickness of material or objects.
可以表示距离、大小、宽度或材料和物体的厚度,而不是长度。
For example, needles are sized by gauges to show their thickness.
例如,针的大小是通过测量其粗细而定的。
My ears were pierced using an 18-gauge needle.
我的耳朵是用18号针打的耳洞。
A gauge can also be a device or instrument for measuring.
guage也可以是一种用于测量的装置或仪器。
Sam uses a digital thermometer as a temperature gauge when he cooks.
萨姆做饭时用数字温度计作为温度测量仪。
As a verb, “gauge” has several meanings.
作为动词,gauge有多种含义。
The first meaning is to measure the exact size or number of something.
第一个意思是测量某物的确切大小或数量。
Weather scientists gauged snow fall at 12 inches.
气象科学家测得降雪量为12英寸。
We can also use “gauge” to mean estimate.
我们也可以用gauge来表示估计。
I gauge that we will have about 70 people at the wedding.
我估计婚礼上会有大约70人。
And lastly, “gauge” can also be used to describe judging other people’s emotions or opinions.
最后,gauge也可以用来描述对他人情绪或观点的判断。
Social media companies often gauge their users’ interests with questions and opinion studies.
社交媒体公司经常通过提问和观点研究的方式来估测用户的兴趣。
He couldn’t gauge his sister’s feelings about the new move.
他无法估测他姐姐对这一新举措的感受。
Please let us know if these explanations and examples have helped you, Anora.
请让我们知道这些解释和例子是否对你有帮助,阿诺拉。
And that’s Ask a Teacher.
以上就是本周《名师答疑》。
I’m Faith Pirlo.
我是费思·皮尔洛。