John Kennedy is a senator from Louisiana.
约翰·肯尼迪是路易斯安那州的一名参议员。
So let's not shoot for the four bedroom Colonial on half an acre, Senator.
所以,参议员,我们就别争占地半英亩的四居室殖民公寓了。
Let's just maybe aim for a shed.
我们还是找个避难小屋吧。
Is that the American dream you recall?
这是你记忆中的美国梦吗?
No, and let's talk about the American dream Jesse.
不是,我们来谈谈美国梦吧,杰西。
In many ways the policies of the Biden administration have been a cancer on the American dream.
拜登政府的政策在很多方面都是美国梦的毒瘤。
There are two reasons why I don’t trust many people, most people in Washington, D.C.
我不信任很多人,尤其是华盛顿特区的大多数人,有两个原因。
First, I don’t know them.
第一,我不认识他们。
And second I do.
第二,我了解他们的为人。
After two years we know the Biden administration.
两年的时间让我们了解了拜登政府。
And one of the things we know about the Biden administration is that spending money that we don’t have makes president Biden rapturiously happy.
关于拜登政府,我们知道的一件事是,花掉我们没有的钱会让拜登总统欣喜若狂。
Now how’s he spent the money?
那他是怎么花这笔钱的呢?
Number one, he has massively expanded and already generous welfare program.
第一,他大幅扩大了已经很慷慨的福利计划。
Food stamps, extra food stamps, massive expansion of medicaid is one of the reasons the labor force participation rate is so low.
食品券、额外的食品券、医疗补助的大规模扩大是劳动力参与率如此之低的部分原因。
Number two, the president has passed these bills with the help of a handful of Republicans in the Senate.
第二,总统在参议院少数共和党人的帮助下通过了这些法案。
The American rescue plan, the big tech bailout, the infrastructure bill, the inflation reduction act, but look at how he is spending money on those bills.
包括美国的救援计划,大规模的技术援助,基础设施法案,降低通胀法案等等,但看看他是如何把钱花在这些法案上的。
Much of the money in those bills is not being spent by government, it’s being given by the Biden administration to favor people and entities in the private sector, bailouts if you will.
这些法案中的大部分资金并没有被政府花掉,而是被拜登政府送给了私营部门的个人和实体,可以说是救助金,如果你想这么说的话。
And all of this is undermining the American dream.
所有这些都在破坏美国梦。
I talked to people every day who tell me, these are my words, not theirs, they say look, Kennedy, we look around on American day and here’s what we see.
我每天都和人们交谈,他们告诉我,以下是我自己的用词,不是他们的原话,他们说,看,肯尼迪,我们观察了美国人的一天,我们看到的是这样的。
We see too many undeserving people at the top getting bailouts from the Biden administration.
我们看到有太多不配得到拜登政府救助的高层人士。
And we see too many undeserving people at the bottom getting handouts from the Biden administration.
我们看到有太多不配得到拜登政府施舍的底层人。
And we are in the middle.
而我们正处于中间。
And we can’t pay the bill anymore.
我们付不起账单了。
These are people who get up every day, go to work, obey the law, pay their taxes, just try to teach their kids morals.
这些人每天起床,上班,遵纪守法,纳税,只是试着告诉他们的孩子什么是道德。
And the result of all this is that today in America, it’s harder than ever to get ahead and it’s easier than ever to do nothing.
所有这一切的结果是,在今天的美国,出人头地比以往任何时候都困难,无所作为比以往任何时候都容易。
So, for these people, the ordinary American, the American dream has become the American game and it’s fixed.
因此,对于这些普通美国人来说,美国梦已经变成了美国游戏,无法改变了。
And the money goes to the people at the top and at the bottom but they don’t do anything to help the middle class.
钱都流向了顶层和底层的人,但他们没有做任何事情来帮助中产阶级。
And the byproduct of this, Jesse, is inflation.
随之而来的,杰西,就是通货膨胀。
We are paying for all that spending of money that we don’t have through inflation.
我们正在通过通货膨胀,来为我们没有的钱的支出买单。
And if inflation continues, I don’t know, at some point I guess the Powerball jackpot will be a pound of hamburger.
如果通胀继续下去,也许在某个时候,强力球彩票的头奖将会是一磅汉堡。
It’s the one time the Democrats got the math right.
民主党就这一次算对了。
If you get the rich and you get the poor, you win the majority and that’s all they care about.
如果能得到富人和穷人的支持,就赢得了多数人的民心,他们只关心这些。
I just think that these little sheds, they probably cost about a million and a half dollars government money. (Probably.)
我只是认为这些避难小屋可能花费了大约150万美元的政府资金。(可能。)
Yeah probably, and it’s probably some cousins of the contractor who got the gig.
是的,很有可能,而且可能是被承包商的一些表亲得到了。
John Kennedy knows more than people think about Washington, D.C. and it ain’t pretty, thank you so much.
约翰·肯尼迪对华盛顿特区的了解比人们想象的要多,而华盛顿特区的真实样貌不是很漂亮,非常感谢。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载。