This week on Ask a Teacher, we answer a question from Achmad in Suriname.
本周《名师答疑》,我们回答来自苏里南的阿赫马德的一个问题。
He asks: Can you start a sentence with "because" or "and"?
他问:because或and可以放在句首吗?
Hello Achmad.
你好,阿赫马德。
Earlier this year on Ask a Teacher, we answered a reader who asked if sentences can begin with "and."
今年早些时候,在本节目中,我们回答了一位读者的问题,该读者问and能否放在句首。
The answer is yes.
答案是肯定的。
You can find the full answer on that program, which ran on January 8.
你可以在1月8日播出的节目上找到完整答案。
Today, let's talk about "because."
今天,我们来谈谈beacuse。
The word "because" is a conjunction that means "for the reason that."
because这个词是连词,意思是“因为那个原因”。
A conjunction is a word that joins other words or groups of words in a sentence.
连词是将句子中的其他词或词组连接起来的词。
To answer your question: Yes, you can start a sentence with "because."
所以对你问题的回答是:是的,可以把because放在句首。
However, to be a complete sentence, it must express a complete thought.
然而,要想成为一个完整的句子,它必须表达一个完整的意思。
Here are some examples of complete sentences beginning with "because":
下面是一些以because开头的完整句子:
Because I was happy, I smiled.
因为我很开心,所以我笑了。
Because of the severe storm, my internet went down.
因为这场严重的风暴,我的网络瘫痪了。
Notice the punctuation marks.
注意标点符号。
There are commas in the middle of the sentences and periods at the end.
句子中间有逗号,结尾处有句号。
When we start complete sentences with "because," this is how we punctuate them.
当我们在完整句子的开头使用because时,就需要这样加标点符号。
By themselves, "because I was happy" and "because of the severe storm" are not complete sentences.
单独拿出来,“因为我很高兴”和“因为这场严重的风暴”就不是完整的句子。
But that does not mean they are not acceptable.
但这并不意味着这种句子是不可接受的。
In English, we begin many answers to questions in speaking and informal writing with the word "because."
在英语中,在口语和非正式写作中回答问题时都是以because开头。
For example, suppose you are answering a friend's text message.
例如,假设你正在回复一位朋友的短信。
Listen to this question and the answer: Why did you smile? Because I was happy
请听这个问题和答案:你为什么笑?因为我很高兴
Or, imagine your coworker is asking about your internet:
或者,想象你的同事在问你关于网络的问题:
Why did your internet go down?
为什么你的网络崩溃了?
Because of the storm
因为风暴
Notice that I did not put a period after the responses that began with "because."
请注意,在以because开头的回答后面,我没有加句号。
They are not full sentences.
因为它们不是完整的句子。
But in informal writing, such as texts or informal emails, some English speakers do put periods after incomplete sentences.
但在非正式写作中,如短信或非正式电子邮件,一些英语使用者确实会在不完整的句子后面加句号。
And that's Ask a Teacher for this Week.
以上就是本周《名师答疑》。
I'm Alice Bryant.
爱丽丝·布莱恩特为您播报。