Today, we answer a question from Ryan in China. He writes:
今天,我们回答来自中国的Ryan提出的一个问题。他写道:
When I want to say "no" with more politeness, what are other expressions I can use?
当我想有礼貌地说“不”时,我都可以使用哪些表达方式?
Here are some examples about the situation: When the teacher asks me, "Do you have any questions?" Or when the flight attendant asks me. "Do you need coffee?" Thanks! – Ryan.
这有几种情况:当老师问我,“Do you have any questions?”或者当乘务员问我时,“Do you need coffee?”。谢谢!
Dear Ryan, Thank you for your question.
亲爱的Ryan,谢谢你的提问。
Most Americans speak directly and are not afraid to say "No" in many situations.
美国人大多说话直接,在很多情况下不怕说“No”。
But we do have ways to be polite -- or show respect for another's feelings.
但确实有礼貌的表达方式,或者尊重他人的感受的表达方式。
The simplest way to be polite is to say, "No, thank you." Let us look at some other polite ways to say "no."
有礼貌的最简单的方式是“No, thank you.”让我们看看其他的礼貌地说“不”的方式。
In the case of a teacher asking, "Do you have any questions?" you may want to answer this way:
如果老师问:“Do you have any questions?”你可以这样回答:
No, I do not have any, because your lesson was very clear.
没有,我没有问题,因为你讲得很清楚。
Another answer you may give is:
你可能给出的另一个答案是:
Not now, but I might have some later when I try to do the assignment.
现在没有,但等我做作业的时候可能会有一些。
This leaves open the possibility of asking questions on the subject later.
这就给以后问老师问题留下了余地。
On a plane when a flight attendant asks, "Do you need coffee?" you may hear this answer:
在飞机上,当空乘人员问:“Do you need coffee?”你可能会听到这样的回答:
Thanks, I'm fine.
谢谢,我还好。
Note that the speaker does not use the word "no" but still sends the message that coffee is not wanted.
注意,这里虽然没有使用“no”这个词,但仍然传递了不需要咖啡的信息。
Another answer would suggest something else the attendant can bring.
另一种回答可以提示服务员拿点的其他东西。
No thanks, but I would like some water.
不,谢谢,但是我想来些水。
I think that saying "no" may be more difficult in other situations, such as when a friend asks you for a favor.
我认为说“不”可能在其他情况下更加困难,比如当一个朋友向你寻求帮助时。
In this case, Americans would usually explain why they cannot help.
这种情况下,美国人通常解释他们不能提供帮助的原因。
Here is an example:
下面就是一个例子:
Ryan, can I borrow your bicycle tomorrow?
瑞恩,明天我能借你的自行车吗?
No, I'm sorry, but I need it to go to my job.
不行,不好意思,但是我需要骑着去上班。
It is also difficult to say "no" to an invitation. We might say we would like to accept it to be polite. Listen to this example:
面对别人的邀请也很难说“不”。我们也许会说我们想要接受, 这样显得礼貌。听下面的例子:
Ryan, can you join us for dinner Saturday?
瑞恩,你能加入我们周六的聚餐吗?
I wish I could, but I have other plans.
我希望我能,但是我有其他的计划了。
Here, you express the idea that you want to accept the invitation but you do not need to give details of your plan.
这样,你表达清楚了你想要接受邀请,但是你不需要详细解释计划的细节。
I hope this helps the next time you want to give a polite answer to a question, Ryan.
瑞恩,我希望在下次你想礼貌地回答一个问题时,这些能帮到你。
And that's Ask a Teacher.
以上就是今天《名师答疑》的全部内容。
I'm Jill Robbins.
我是吉尔·罗宾斯。