Today, we answer a question from our reader Miguel. He writes:
今天,我们来回答我们的读者米格尔提出的一个问题。他写道:
Why is it wrong to answer a question like this: "Yes, I'm" or "Yes, it's" or "Yes, he's" ?
为什么像这样回答问题是错误的:“Yes, I’m”或“Yes,it’s”又或者是“Yes,he’s”?
Thank you. – from Miguel
谢谢——米格尔
Dear Miguel,
亲爱的米格尔,
Thank you for your question.
谢谢你的提问。
Your examples use short answers that include what grammar experts call "weak" forms.
你所举的例子使用了简略回答,其中包括语法专家所说的“弱读”式。
When a speaker uses a contraction, or shortened word, the sound of the vowel almost disappears.
当说话者使用缩写形式或缩约形式时,里面的元音几乎不发音。
An example is the word "I'm."
“I’m”就是一个例子。
In this contraction, the /ae/ sound in "am" is harder to hear.
在这个缩写形式中,“am”里/ae/这个音比较难听出来。
This happens because the speaker uses less force to say the vowel sound.
发生这种情况是因为说话者发元音那个音时用力较小。
There are two rules that apply to these forms. These rules help explain why you cannot answer "Yes, I'm."
有两个规则适用于这些形式。这些规则有助于解释为什么你不能回答“Yes,I’m。”
The first rule has to do with an answer that leaves out part of a thought. Here is an example.
第一个规则是关于省略了部分内容的回答。下面是一个例子。
Is that your dog? Yes, it is.
那是你的狗吗?是的,它是我的狗。
After "it is," we understand that the words needed to make a complete thought are "my dog."
我们知道要使内容完整,“it is”之后需要加“my dog”。
The speaker does not need to say "my dog" because the listener understands what they are talking about.
说话人不需要说“my dog”,因为听者明白他们在说什么。
But the speaker cannot reduce this answer to "Yes, it's."
但是说话人不能把这个回答简化为“Yes,it’s。”
So the rule is that when something is left out at the end of a statement, you cannot end the statement with a weak form.
所以这个规则就是,当一个陈述句末尾省略了一些内容时,你不能用一个弱读式来结束这个陈述句。
But this is not true when the short answer is "No."
但当简略回答是否定时就不适用了。
In that case, the negative word "not" follows directly after the verb.
在那种情况下,否定词“not”直接跟在动词之后。
So the weak form is not at the end of the statement. Here is an example:
所以弱读式不在陈述句的末尾。以下是一个示例:
Are you ready? No, I'm not.
你准备好了吗?不,没准备好。
There is still something missing at the end of the statement -- the word "ready." But the statement does not end with the weak form "I'm."
陈述句的末尾仍然省略了一些内容——“ready”这个单词。但是这个陈述句并没有以弱读式“I’m”结束。
The second rule has to do with stress, the loudness or force a speaker uses on different sounds in a sentence. Listen to the stress pattern here:
第二个规则与重读有关,也就是说话人对句子中不同发音所使用的音量或力度。听听以下重读形式:
Will we all GO? I think we WILL.
我们都去吗?我想我们都得去。
The speaker says the words "go" and "will" with more force or stress.
说话人说“go”和“will”这两个单词时力度更大或者说会重读这两个单词。
If a word is stressed, English does not permit reduced or weak forms. So you cannot say "I think we'll."
如果有一个单词需要重读,那么英语中就不允许出现缩略形式或弱读式。所以你不能说“I think we’ll .”
However, a speaker can stress the negative form, "I think we won't."
但是,说话者可以重读否定形式,“I think we won’t”。
I hope this helps you understand, Miguel. Thank you for the question.
我希望这能帮助你理解,米格尔。感谢你的提问。
And that's Ask a Teacher.
以上就是本期《名师答疑》的全部内容。
I'm Jill Robbins.
我是吉尔·罗宾斯。