Today we answer a question from Donyaa in Iran. She writes:
今天我们回答来自伊朗的多尼亚提出的问题。她写道:
I am confused about when I can use the possessive nouns.
我对什么时候可以使用名词所有格感到困惑。
Is it face mask or face's mask? Is it chicken leg or chicken's leg? Thank you – Donyaa, Iran
是face mask还是face’s mask?是chicken leg还是chicken’s leg?谢谢。
Dear Donyaa, The examples you asked about are two different ways nouns appear together in English.
亲爱的多尼亚,你所问的例子是英语中多个名词挨着出现的两种不同方式。
One is a compound noun: "face mask," that is, it is a type of mask used on the face.
一种是复合名词"面具",也就是说,它是用在脸上的一种面具。
These days, the compound noun "face mask" is mostly used in connection with the coronavirus pandemic.
现在,这个复合名词"面具"主要用于冠状病毒流行方面。
But people also wear "face masks" on certain holidays -- including on Halloween!
但人们也会在某些节日戴"面具"——包括在万圣节!
They cover all or part of someone's face as part of a costume.
它们作为服装的一部分遮住人们全脸或脸的一部分。
There are many compound nouns in everyday English. Listen to this example:
日常英语中有许多复合名词。听一下这个例子:
We need to buy cat food for our new pet.
我们需要给我们的新宠物买猫粮。
The word "cat" modifies, or changes the meaning of, the noun "food."
"猫"这个词修饰或改变了名词"食物"的意思。
Here is another example:
下面是另一个例子:
Bean soup is a good meal in the winter.
豆汤在冬天是一道美味。
In this case, we are talking about that a soup that includes beans.
在这个例子中,我们谈论的是一种里面有豆类的汤。
Now let's look at another way two nouns can appear together.
现在让我们来看看两个名词挨着出现的另一种方式。
You asked about "chicken leg" and "chicken's leg."
你问了"chicken leg"和"chicken’s leg"。
In the second, you will notice there is an apostrophe -- a small mark before the letter "s."
在第二个表达中,你会注意到有一个——字母"s"前面的一个小符号。
An apostrophe is used to show possession.
被用来表示所有格。
Here is an example: My dog's nose is cold.
下面是一个例子:我的狗狗的鼻子很凉。
English speakers generally use this way of showing possession when the first noun is either a living thing or a specific thing.
当第一个名词是有生命的东西或特定的东西时,说英语的人通常用这种方式表示所有格。
Here is an example that relates to your question.
这里有一个和你所问问题相关的例子。
Doctor, my chicken's leg was hurt in a fight. Can you help her?
医生,我这只鸡的腿在打架中受伤了。你能帮她治疗吗?
In this example, I am talking about a specific chicken.
在这个例子中,我说的是一只特定的鸡。
But, if I am not talking about one specific chicken's legs, I will use a compound noun to talk about chicken legs in general.
但是,如果我不是在说某只特定的鸡的腿,我会用一个复合名词来泛指鸡腿。
The restaurant's specialty is roasted chicken legs.
这家餐馆的招牌菜是烤鸡腿。
Similarly, if I am talking about dogs in general, I may simply use a compound noun:
同样地,如果我泛指狗,我可以简单地用一个复合名词:
Dog noses are always cold.
狗鼻子总是凉的。
That is a statement about all dogs, and not just my own dog.
那针对的是所有狗狗,而不仅仅是我自己的那条狗。
I hope this helps to answer your question, Donyaa.
我希望这对你的问题有所帮助,多尼亚。
And that's Ask a Teacher for this week.
以上就是本周《名师答疑》的全部内容。
I'm Jill Robbins.
我是吉尔·罗宾斯。