This week we answer a question from Thanh in Vietnam, who writes, "How many ways can we say ‘thank you?'"
本周我们回复来自越南的Thanh所提出的问题。他写道:“我们有多少种方式可以表达感谢?”
Dear Thanh,
亲爱的Thanh,
This is a good question as we enter a season of holiday gift-giving in the United States.
这个问题问得正好,因为我们正要进入美国的节日送礼季。
The verb thank means to tell someone that you are grateful for something they have done or given.
道谢这个动词的意思是告诉某人,你对他们所做的或者是给予的心存感激。
The most common ways to say "thank you" are listed in order from more to less formal.
最常用的表达“谢谢你”的方式是如下你所听到的,从正式到非正式的说法。
Thank you for coming to the party. (formal)
感谢您来参加这次聚会。(正式)
Thanks for calling me. (informal)
感谢来电。(非正式)
You have probably noticed that there are many ways to show feelings of gratitude in English.
你可能已经注意到,英语中有很多种表达感激之情的方式。
One is to use the word "grateful" or "gratitude" to thank someone.
其中一种是用“grateful”或者“gratitude”这个单词来感谢某人。
We are grateful for your generosity in giving warm coats to the poor children.
我们非常感激您慷慨地为贫困儿童提供保暖外套。
Please accept this gift as a sign of my gratitude.
请接受这份礼物以表达我的感激之情。
Another word you may hear when English speakers thank someone is appreciate.
你可能听过的另一个英语使用者感谢某人的单词是appreciate。
I really appreciate your explanation.
非常感谢你的讲解。
Please accept this pin as a sign of our appreciation for your work.
请接受这枚徽章,以表达我们对您的工作的感谢。
Finally, one more way to say thanks to someone is to use the word "obliged."
最后,还有一种表示感谢某人的方式用到了obliged这个单词。
I am much obliged to you for the help you've given me.
非常感谢您给我的帮助。
Another way to say it very informally is "I owe you one!"
另一种非正式的说法是:我欠你一份人情!
Thanks very much to our fan, Thanh, in Vietnam for the excellent question!
非常感谢我们的越南粉丝Thanh提出的这么优秀的问题。
And that's Ask A Teacher.
以上就是本期名师答疑节目的全部内容。
I'm Jill Robbins.
我是吉尔·罗宾斯。