Born and raised in Rochester, New York, Shawn Dunwoody is a local artist and activist.
肖恩·邓伍迪在纽约罗彻斯特出生长大,是一名当地的艺术家和活动家。
Early in his career, he found traditional success in galleries and universities.
在他职业生涯的早期,他在画廊和大学里获得了传统的成功。
But now he focuses on his own neighborhood, hoping to ignite conversations through art and to create tangible changes within the community.
但现在,他专注于自己的社区,希望通过艺术点燃人们的对话,并在社区内创造切实的变化。
Tonight, Shawn shares his Brief But Spectacular take on bridging communities with art.
今晚,肖恩分享了他的《简短而精彩》,在艺术与沟通之间架起桥梁。
Activism informs art and art affects activism. They go hand in hand.
行动主义影响艺术,艺术影响行动主义。 它们互相渗透。
When you take that brush to the wall or to the canvas or your molding that clay,
当你拿着画笔去刷墙、去刷画布、去塑造黏土时,
you're creating some sort of movement.
你在创造某种运动。
you're looking for some sort of change.
你在寻找某种改变。
And I realized that art can actually be a fuel to kick that change off in a major way.
我意识到,艺术实际上可以是一种燃料,在很大程度上推动这种改变。
Growing up in Rochester, New York, I spent a lot of time alone because Mom's got to work two jobs.
我在纽约的罗切斯特长大,很多时候我都是一个人,因为妈妈要打两份工。
And I started to spend a lot of time and drawing and coloring and comic books.
我开始花很多时间画画,上色,看漫画。
And I wanted to be a superhero and help shape the world.
我想成为一个超级英雄,帮助塑造世界。
And I saw that there were ways to actually do this with art and bringing people together.
我发现有很多方法可以用艺术来做到这一点,把人们聚在一起。
I began showing in galleries at universities and colleges,
我开始在大学和学院的画廊展出,
and I was lecturing and talking about what some of the issues are that I'm dealing with here, being a black man here in America.
我在演讲,谈论我在美国作为一个黑人正在处理的一些问题。
And I felt it was great.
我觉得这很棒。
I'm like, Oh, yeah. Look at this.
我说,哦,是的。 看看这个。
People are paying attention to me, and it's going to be great.
大家都在关注我,这太棒了。
I got a chance to hang my artwork.
我有机会挂出我的作品。
But I had a moment where I was addressing an audience and the audience looked nothing like me.
但有那么一刻,我在对观众讲话,观众却好像听不到我的话。
And I said, do they really care about what I'm talking about.
我说,他们真的关心我在说什么吗。
And once I leave this room, will they actually try to create some change in my neighborhood?
一旦我离开这个房间,他们真的会试图在我的社区创造一些改变吗?
And I said, I need to be back in my neighborhood.
我说,我需要回到我的社区。
I want to be what I wanted to see when I was 15 years old.
我想成为我15岁时想看到的样子。
My partner, and I, Suzanne Mayor, we started Hinge Neighbors.
我和我的搭档苏珊娜·马约尔创建了Hinge Neighbors。
And what that was really about was about, there's a highway that runs in the middle of our city.
真正的原因是,在我们的城市中心有一条高速公路。
They're two totally different social economic groups on either side.
他们是两个完全不同的社会经济群体。
And so we wanted to be able to work together to amplify the voices of those people.
因此,我们希望能够共同努力,放大这些人的声音。
First off, we created an art project so they can actually beautify their neighborhood together.
首先,我们创建了一个艺术项目,这样他们就可以一起美化他们的社区。
When I'm working on a community based project or political project,
当我在做一个基于社区的项目或政治项目时,
whatever that may be, I want to infuse some sort of creativity in there.
不管是什么,我想在里面注入一些创造力。
We're all making things happen together and we're listening to music.
我们一起创造奇迹,我们一起听音乐。
All while we're learning about the mission that we have to accomplish in the neighborhood,
当我们在学习我们必须完成的社区任务时,
all while gathering names of folks who might not otherwise come out to sea or do anything if I said I want to find out how you feel about your community or your neighborhood? No.
同时收集那些可能不会出海或做任何事情的人的名字,如果我说我想知道你对你的社区或社区的感觉? 不。
But if they see something that draws their eye makes them think about themselves differently in the environment, makes them feel a bit happy and connected and say, hey, I actually did this in my neighborhood.
但如果他们看到一些吸引他们眼球的东西,让他们在环境中以不同的方式思考自己,让他们感到快乐和联系,并说,嘿,我实际上在我的社区做了这件事。
Now they've actually committed themselves physically to a project.
现在他们已经把自己的身体投入到一个项目中。
And mentally they're committed to moving in shaping this community.
在心理上,他们致力于塑造这个社区。
So that's how I use art as sort of this. It's just sort of hook way.
这就是我使用艺术的方式。 这只是一种吸引人的方式。
I kind of took him in there and say, hey, come on. This is cool.
我带他进去然后说,嘿,来吧。 这很酷。
Come in. Join me. You will like this.
来吧。加入我。你会喜欢的。
And what I've seen is that people will really talk to each other and engage in conversation.
我所看到的是人们真的会互相交谈,参与对话。
And when we listen, when we try to understand, when we reach out and we ask and we give and we ask and we give,
当我们倾听的时候,当我们试着理解的时候,当我们伸出手去请求的时候,当我们给予的时候,当我们请求的时候,当我们给予的时候,
we will find out their amazing things that can be accomplished together when we connect.
我们会发现惊人的事情,当我们连接在一起的时候,我们可以一起完成。
My name is Shawn Dunwoody, and this is my Brief But Spectacular take on bridging communities with art.
我是肖恩·邓伍迪,这是我的《短暂而精彩》,在艺术与沟通之间架起桥梁。
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!