This week we answer a question from Mohammad in Iran.
本周我们将回答来自伊朗的穆罕默德的提问。
He writes: "What's the difference between 'come back' and 'go back'? Thank you". — Mohammad, Iran
他写道:“请问‘come back’ 和‘go back’有何区别?谢谢。”
Dear Mohammad, You are right – "come back" and "go back" are confusing.
亲爱的穆罕默德,你说得对。 “come back”和“go back”常常令人分不清楚。
English speakers use both expressions to talk about going places.
说英语的人用这两种表达方式来谈论去哪里。
And both expressions can be commands or strong requests.
这两种表达方式都可以表示命令或强烈请求。
To identify the difference, the most important thing to consider is where you are and where the person you are talking to is.
要想知道两者的区别,最重要的是考虑你的位置,以及和你谈话人的位置。
For example, let us say you are having a party at your house.
例如,假设你在家里开派对。
Early in the night, your friends say they are leaving, but they promise to return.
夜晚早些时候,你的朋友说他们要走了,但他们保证会回来。
In that situation, you could ask your friends: "When will you come back"?
在这种情况下,你可以问朋友:“When will you come back”?(你什么时候回来?)
In other words, you are asking them when they plan to return to where you are in that moment.
也就是说,你在问他们计划什么时候回到你现在所在的位置。
They might answer, "We will come back at ten," or, "We will come back as soon as we can".
他们可能会回答:“我们十点回来,”或者,“我们会尽快回来。”
Now, here is another example.
下面是另一个例子。
Let us say you are on vacation in a foreign country.
假设你在国外度假。
You tell an employee at the hotel where you are staying that you want to see everything but do not have much time.
你告诉你所住酒店的一位员工说,你想参观所有的景点但时间有限。
She asks, "When will you go back"?
她问,“你什么时候回去啊?”
She wants to know when you plan to return to the place you came from – in this case, your home country.
她想知道你打算什么时候回到你的家乡。在这种情况下,也就是你的祖国。
You might answer, "I have to go back on Tuesday," or, "I have to go back in three days".
你可能会回答:“我星期二就得回去”,或者,“我得三天内回去。”
But if you see her again on your way out to dinner, you might say, "I will come back before midnight".
但是,如果你出去吃饭的路上再次见到她,你可能会说:“我会在午夜前回来。”
In that case, you will return to the place you both are in that moment – the hotel.
在这种情况下,你会回到你们俩当时所在的地方也就是酒店。
All of those situations are friendly or neutral.
所有这些情况都是友好或中性的。
But "come back" can also be a command when you want someone to return immediately to where you are.
“come back”也可以是表示命令。当你想让某人立即回到你所在的位置时,可以用“come back”。
For example, if a person steals your property and runs away, you might shout: "Come back here"!
例如,如果有人偷了你的财产然后逃跑,你可能会大喊:“回来!”
"Go back" becomes a command when you want someone to return to the place they were before.
当你想让某人回到原来的地方时,“Go back”就表示命令了。
For example, let us say one of the people at your party borrows your car to get more food.
例如,假设你组织的聚会上有人借你的车去买更多的食物。
But later, when he returns to your house, he tells you he left your car at the grocery store.
但后来,当他回到你家时,他告诉你他把车忘在杂货店了。
So you tell him: "Go back and get it"!
这时你会告诉他:“回去拿!”
And that's Ask a Teacher!
以上就是本期《名师答疑》的全部内容。
I'm Pete Musto.
我是皮特·穆托。