This week, we answer a question from Ali in Iran.
本周,我们回答了一位来自伊朗名叫Ali朋友的问题。
He writes, "I want to know differences between the words 'advise' and 'advice'.
他的问题是:“我想知道‘advise’和‘advice’这两个词之间的区别。
Are they the same with different spellings?" – Ali, Iran
它们两个是一样的吗?只是拼写方式不同而已吗?——来自伊朗的Ali
Dear Ali,
亲爱的Ali,
The two words you asked about have somewhat different meanings.
你问的这两个单词意思不同。
The VOA Learning English Word Book definies the verb advise as "to help with information, knowledge or ideas in making a decision."
美国之音学习英语单词书对动词advise的定义是“助力提供信息、知识、想法,促成决定的达成。”
The noun form of the word, "advice," is written with the letter c, which is said like /s/.
它的名词形式是“advice”,名词里有字母c,读音很像/s/。
But the verb "advise" is written with the letter s, which is pronounced like /z/.
但动词“advise”里是字母s,发音很像/z/。
If you hold your hand to your throat, you will find that it vibrates, moving from side to side, when you say the /z/ sound.
如果把手放在喉咙处,就会发现发/z/的时候,喉咙会左右震动。
Let us look at sentences with these words, starting with the verb advise.
让我们看一下带有这两个单词的句子。先从动词advise说起吧。
It's the cabinet's job to advise the president.
内阁的职责是向总统建言。
Nutrition experts advise that we eat five servings of fruit and vegetables every day.
很多营养专家建议,我们每天应该吃5份蔬菜水果。
The professional traders advise against selling stock today.
职业操盘手建议今天不要甩股。
Now, let's look at the noun advice.
现在,我们来看一下名词advice。
Remember "advice" is the information or opinion you get from a friend or an expert.
要记得:advice是你从朋友或专家那获取的信息或观点。
People often look on the internet for medical advice before visiting a doctor.
人们在看病之前,都会自己在网上搜一下医嘱。
My brother gave me good advice: finish my homework and go to bed.
我哥哥给了我好的建议:完成作业后睡觉。
Those friends were giving him bad advice. They told him to leave school.
这些朋友给他的建议不好,他们居然告诉他辍学。
You may have seen other pairs of words in English that work the same way as "advise" and "advice."
你可能在英语里见到过其他这样成对的单词,而且区别的方式跟这两个单词一模一样。
Some examples are the pairs devise and device, appease and peace, prophesy and prophecy.
有一些这种成对单词的例子:devise和device、appease和peace、prophesy和prophecy。
Two other words, license and practice, are written differently in British English, but they no longer have different spellings in American English.
还有2个单词是license和practice,它们在英式英语里的写法不同。不过它们在美式英语里写法相同。
So take my advice. Listen carefully to the sentence when you hear the word or look at the sentence around it when you read it.
所以,请接受我的建议吧。请仔细听句子或者读到某个单词的时候仔细观察它附近的句子。
Then you will know if it is a verb or a noun, and you will know the meaning, too.
然后你就会知道一个单词是动词还是名词,也会知道这个单词的意思了。
And that's Ask a Teacher!
以上就是本期名师答疑的全部内容。
I'm Jill Robbins.
我是吉尔·罗宾斯。