Woman: Hey Dan. How did the appraisal go?
嘿,丹,评估进展如何?
Man: Oh, it was pretty good thanks.
哦,非常好,谢谢。
Carol - she's my line manager - seemed to know me better than I knew myself,
卡罗——她是我的直属经理——她似乎比我更了解我自己,
and she really helped me to identify strengths and weaknesses I didn't know I had.
她帮助我发现了自己都不知道的优缺点。
I 'd thought we were just going to talk about practical things, like what my prospects are for promotion,rather than my psychology!
我还以为我们要谈一些实际问题,比如升职的前景,不会谈心理!
Woman: Do you want a promotion?
你想升职吗?
I thought you 'd chosen to go down a grade when you took this job.
我原以为你做这份工作是降一级。
Man: That's right.
对的
I used to manage a sales team.
我曾经管理过一个销售团队。
It meant working long hours, and it could be pretty difficult at times, though on the whole I enjoyed the challenge.
尽管总体来说我很享受这个挑战,但时间一长就会面临困境,
But it kept me at a distance from customers and I wanted to go back to that.
它让我与顾客保持了一定的距离,我想拉回与顾客的距离。
So here I am, a sales rep again.
所以我又成为销售代表了。
I 'd be interested in promotion if it did not stop me doing the fun parts of the job.
晋升只有在不妨碍工作乐趣的请况下,我才会对它感兴趣。
Woman: How have people reacted to your taking a step down?
人们对你任职销售代表有何反应?
Man: Most of the people in my last company found it strange, but in fact a couple of them thought about changing to this company too,
我上一家公司的大多数同事都觉得很奇怪,但事实上,他们中的一些人也想过换一家公司,
though it didn't come to anything.
尽管也没有换成。
There seems to be a rumour going around that I 'll be looking for something better soon,but actually I 'm pretty happy here.
似乎有传言说我很快就会找到更好的工作,但实际上我在这里很开心。