But the boy stayed away for a long time.
但是男孩离开了很长时间。
And when he came back, the tree was so happy she could hardly speak.
当他回来时,树高兴地说不出话来。
"Come , Boy," she whispered, "come and play."
“来呀,孩子,”她轻声说,“来玩儿呀。”
"I'm too old and sad to play," said the boy.
“我太老了,太悲伤了,不想玩了,”男孩说,
"I want a boat that will take me far away from here."
“我想要一艘船,带我远离这里。
"Can you give me a boat?"
你能给我一艘船吗?”
"Cut down my trunk and make a boat," said the tree.
“把我的树干砍下来,做一条船吧。”树说,
"Then you can sail away and be happy."
“然后你就可以扬帆远航了,变得快乐了。”
And so the boy cut down her trunk
于是男孩砍下了她的树干,
and made a boat and sailed away.
做了一条船,然后划走了。
And the tree was happy .
于是树感到很快乐。
But not really.
但也不是真的快乐。
And after a long time the boy came back again.
过了很长时间,男孩又回来了。
"I am sorry, Boy," said the tree, "but I have nothing left to give you."
“对不起,孩子,”树说,“我已经没有东西可以给你了。
"My apples are gone."
我没有苹果了。”
"My teeth are too weak for apples," said the boy.
“我的牙齿太脆弱,吃不了苹果。”男孩说。
"My branches are gone," said the tree."You cannot swing on them."
“我的树枝也没了,”树说,“你不能在上面荡秋千了。”
"I'm too old to swing on branches," said the boy.
“我太老了,没力气在树枝上荡秋千了。”男孩说。
"My trunk is gone," said the tree."You cannot climb."
“我的树干也没了,”树说,“你不能爬上去了。”
"I'm too tired to climb," said the boy.
“我太累了,爬不上去。”男孩说。
"I am sorry," sighed the tree.
“对不起,”树叹了口气,
"I wish that I could give you something.
“真希望我能给你一些东西。
but I have nothing left.
但是我已经一无所有了。
I'm just an old stump.
我只是一个老树桩。
I am sorry."
对不起。”
"I don't need very much now," said the boy.
“我现在需要的不多,”男孩说,
"Just a quiet place to sit and rest."
“我只需要一个安静的地方,可以坐下来休息。
I'm very tired."
我非常累。”
"Well," said the tree, straightening herself up as much as she could,
“啊,”树说,尽可能挺直身子,
"well, an old stump is good for sitting and resting."
“啊,老树桩正适合坐下来休息。
Come, Boy, sit down.
来吧,孩子,坐下。
Sit down and rest."
坐下休息一会儿。”
And the boy did.
男孩照做了。
And the tree was happy.
于是树感到很快乐。
The End
终
I first read 'The Giving Tree' back in the late '60s and it has stayed with me ever since.
我第一次读《赠予之树》是在上世纪60年代末,从那以后我就一直记着这个故事。
Maybe it's because it made me think.
也许是因为它让我思考。
It's a beautiful story about love and giving.
这是一个关于爱与给予的美好故事。
The joy of giving and the care that should come with being loved and given to.
讲述了给予的快乐,以及被爱和被给予时应该表现出关爱。
The beauty of books is how much we can learn and discover from them.
书籍的美妙之处在于我们能从中学到和发现很多东西。
Any book that can share a story that gives us things to think about is worth a look.
任何一本书,只要它能分享一个故事,给我们一些思考的东西,就值得一看。
So keep reading and learning and discovering.
所以请继续阅读、学习和发现吧。
The world is full of wonderful writers and their stories, and reading is one of the most magical ways we have to light up our imaginations.
世界上充满了精彩的作家和他们的故事,而阅读是我们点亮想象力的最神奇的方式之一。
Thank you for watching Storyline Online.
感谢您观看StorylineOnline。
Be sure to check out all of our stories.
一定要查看我们所有的故事。
Keep watching and keep reading.
请保持观看,保持阅读。