Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
If you split something, you divide it.
如果你分割一个东西,就是把它分开。
So, what does it mean to split the difference?
那么,split the difference是什么意思呢?
Sigh!
叹息!
Andrew, last night at a friend's house, I broke her expensive vase.
安德鲁,昨晚在朋友家里,我打破了她昂贵的花瓶。
Now she wants me to buy her a new one.
现在她想让我给她买一个新的。
Well, it was your fault.
嗯,那是你的错。
No, it wasn't.
不,不是。
It was right near where we were disco dancing!
它就在我们跳迪斯科的地方附近!
Well, in that case, split the difference.
既然这样,我们就各让一半吧。
You both pay half.
你们各付一半。
Yeah, I guess we both were to blame.
是啊,我想我们俩都有错。
When you split the difference, two people agree to pay what they both think is fair.
当你平分差额时,两个人同意支付他们都认为公平的钱。
They generally take the average of two proposed amounts.
他们通常取两个建议金额的平均值。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》!