Hey John, are you ready for the softball game after work?
嗨,约翰,下班后你准备好去看垒球比赛了吗?
Our office is playing the Public Radio team tonight.
我们办公室今晚要和公共广播队比赛。
No, I don't think we can win. We haven't been practicing enough.
不,我觉得我们赢不了。我们练习的还不够多。
Aw, but look on the bright side. We have some good hitters like Anna Mateo on our team.
啊,但也要往好的方面想。我们队里有一些像安娜·马特奥这样优秀的球员。
That reminds me. we have been talking about pessimism and optimism.
啊,我想起来了。我们一直在谈论悲观和乐观。
Optimism is a noun describing the feeling that things will go well, and an optimist is the person who usually feels that way.
Optimism是一个名词,用来描述事情会进展顺利的感觉,而optimist就是通常有这种感觉的人。
I think you're a good example of an optimist.
我认为你是一个乐观主义者的好例子。
That's true. I do try to look at how things can get better.
确实。我确实在努力研究如何让情况变得更好。
If we want to use the adverb, adding -ally, we can say I look at things optimistically.
如果想用副词,就在后面加上-ally,我们可以说I look at things optimistically。
And sometimes I can only think of how things can go wrong, like that time our star player injured himself.
有时我只能想到事情会出什么问题,比如那次我们的明星球员受伤了。
Yes, you're a pessimist, but let's get going. The game is starting soon.
是的,你是个悲观主义者,但我们走吧。比赛马上就要开始了。
Wow, that was a great game. We beat him 20 - 14. I never thought we could win.
哇,那场比赛太精彩了。我们以20比14击败了对手。我从未想过我们会赢。
Andrew and Anna both played really well. I believe they were both optimistic about winning.
安德鲁和安娜都打得很好。我相信他们都对获胜持乐观态度。
We add the suffix -ic to make the adjective form optimistic, describing someone with that hopeful worldview.
加上后缀-ic就变成了形容词optimistic,描述具有这种充满希望的世界观的人。
But we probably won't win next week.
但我们下周可能就赢不了了。
Don't give up hope, think more optimistically. So to review, we have used these word forms: optimism and optimist are both nouns.
不要放弃希望,要更加乐观地思考。那么,回顾一下,我们使用了这些词的形式:optimism和optimist都是名词。
Optimism is the feeling and optimist is the person who feels it.
Optimism是一种感觉,optimist是拥有这种感觉的人。
Optimistic is an adjective. It describes a noun. Hey John, catch!
Optimistic是一个形容词。它用来描述名词。嘿,约翰,接球!
And that's everyday grammar TV.
这就是每日语法节目。