A voa learning English fan asked us about the word along.
一位美国之音的英语学习爱好者向我们询问了along这个词。
Noura wanted to know why we use along with words such as "come" and "tag."
Noura想知道为什么along要和"come"和"tag"这样的词一起用。
Let's observe some of the differences.
我们来看看其中的一些不同之处。
Along means in a line matching the length or direction of something.
Along意味着与某物的长度或方向是排在一条线上的。
It can also mean near something.
它也可以表示接近某物。
We can say this. I am driving along the coast.
我们可以这么说。我正沿着海岸开车。
We use along in this sentence to say that we drove on a road that runs next to or near the coast.
这句话中的along,是指我们开车行驶在一条靠近海岸的道路上。
Sometimes we use along with verbs such as come or tag.
有时我们会用Come或Tag之类的动词跟along连用。
As a result, we get special expressions known as phrasal verbs "come along" and "tag along."
结果,就形成了短语动词“come along”和“tag along”这样的表达。
Let's consider how we might use these phrasal verbs.
我们来想想该如何使用这些短语动词。
Come along means to go with or accompany someone.
Come along意思是和某人一起去或陪着某人。
Imagine John asks you this.
想象一下约翰问你这个问题。
I'm going to get a coffee. Would you like to come along?
我去买杯咖啡。你愿意和我一起去吗?
In this question, John is asking if you would like to go with him for coffee.
在这个问题中,约翰问你是否愿意和他一起去买咖啡。
I'm going to get a coffee. Would you like to come along?
我去买杯咖啡。你愿意和我一起去吗?
Tag along is like come along.
Tag along就像是随行。
Tag along means to follow someone else, but with an added meaning that the person tagging along is just following the other person.
Tag along的意思是跟随别人,但有一层附加意思,那就是一个人只是盲目地跟着另一个人而已。
Let's see how John uses tag along in a question.
我们看看John如何在疑问句中使用tag along。
I'm glad we're able to get coffee today.
我很高兴我们今天能去喝咖啡。
The one issue is that my little brother doesn't have school today. Do you mind if he tags along?
只是我的小弟弟今天不上学。你介意他跟着一起去吗?
Not your little brother! Last time I saw him, he spilled my coffee.
不要你的小弟弟!上次我见到他时,他把我的咖啡打翻了。
Tag along suggests that my little brother will follow us.
Tag along暗示我的小弟弟是跟着我们。
And I'll make sure he behaves this time.
我会确保他这次乖乖听话的。
And that's everyday grammar TV.
这就是每日语法节目。