Hi John, are you cleaning your house?
嗨,约翰,你在打扫你的房子吗?
Yes, it is a necessary activity, although it is not very enjoyable.
是的,这是一项必要的活动,但不是很愉快。
Grammar is much more enjoyable.
语法要有趣得多。
I'm not sure everyone would agree with you.
我不确定别人也会同意你的观点。
We have several verbs we use to describe cleaning.
有几个动词可以描述打扫。
We have the verb clean, which is probably the most general.
有动词clean,它应该是最笼统的。
And we have more exact verbs like sweep, dust or wash.
还有一些更准确的动词,比如sweep、dust或wash。
You might be asking yourself how this discussion connects with grammar.
你可能会疑惑,这跟语法有什么关系。
The question leads us to an important point.
由此就说到了很重要的一点。
The verbs we mentioned can all be used in a transitive or an intransitive sense.
我们提到的动词都可以当及物动词,也可以当不及物动词。
Transitive means to take a direct object. Intransitive means to not take a direct object.
及物是指带有直接宾语。不及物是指不带直接宾语。
For example, you might say I am cleaning my house.
例如,你可以说我正在打扫我的房子。
We have the subject I, the present continuous form am cleaning, and the object my house.
这句话里有主语I,现在进行时am cleaning,宾语是my house。
In this sentence we can say that the verb clean is followed by an object.
在这个句子中,我们可以说动词clean后面跟了一个宾语。
But we could also use the verb without an object. For example, I am cleaning.
不过,我们也可以不带宾语。例如,我在打扫卫生。
The main difference between the statements is the amount of shared information.
这两者之间的区别是分享的信息量不同。
If the speaker and listener both know what is being discussed, then the object is not necessary.
如果对话双方都知道正在讨论的是什么,那就没必要加宾语。
But if the listener does not know what is being discussed, then the speaker might need to include the object.
但如果听者不知道正在讨论的是什么,那么说话者可能需要加上宾语。
I am cleaning my house. I am cleaning.
我正在打扫我的房子。我在打扫卫生。
And that's everyday grammar TV.
这就是每日语法节目。