Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
Each hand has one thumb.
每只手都有一个拇指。
But what does it mean to be "all thumbs"?
但是“all thumbs”是什么意思呢?
Dan, can you help bring in the cake for the work party? It's big.
丹,你能帮我把工作聚会用的蛋糕拿进来吗?它很大。
Um, I'm not the best person to ask. I'm all thumbs.
问我这个问题不太合适。我可是笨手笨脚的。
Oh, then forget it. I don't want anything to happen to this cake.
哦,那算了吧。我不希望这蛋糕出什么状况。
Is there anything else I can help with?
还有什么我能帮忙的吗?
Sure! You can throw the bags of ice on the ground to break up the ice.
当然!你可以把冰袋往地上摔,这样就能把冰打碎。
Yes! Like I said, I'm great at dropping things.
是啊!就像我说的,我很擅长摔东西。
If you had no fingers and only thumbs, it would be really hard to do some things.
如果你没有手指,只有大拇指,做一些事情会很困难。
You would likely drop things all the time.
你可能会经常掉东西。
So if someone is "all thumbs", they are just a bit clumsy.
所以如果有人all thumbs,意思就是说他们有点笨手笨脚的。
And that's English in a Minute!
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》栏目!